Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RFID Reader Software (VB.NET) - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

RFID Reader Software (VB.NET)

Comments

• JamesDoughertyJamesDougherty Posts: 48
    edited 2009-01-15 13:26
    You just included the application manifest file and not the actual program. After you compile the program and build it you will need to include the whole bin directory. Also, I don't want to be crude or anything, but I am a little hesitant to run a program from a forum unless I see the source code to I know what to expect.

Finally, to answer your question, it should run just fine if all of the needed files are included and the computer has the same .NET assembly on it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    James Dougherty

Ariel Productions
    http://www.arielproductions.com/
  • LibadLibad Posts: 8
    edited 2009-01-15 13:46
    I dont know how to get an exe out of vb
    it keeps giveing me the other thing and the source code. im not sure what that is maybe the code i wrote? if so then its a lot! lol
    not sure how to include the bin and stuff
    im sorry im a week new to VB just a quick learner
    Sorry im lost
    TTEC518@aol.com
    edited 2009-01-15 17:09
    In Visual Studio click "Build" on the menu and then click "Build Solution". This will compile your code and make the executable (.exe). Once that is done (and assuming there were no errors) go to your projects folder (it's usually under "My Document"\Visual Studio 2008 (or 2005 if that's what you're using)\Projects\ then your project name.). Inside of your projects folder you will see a "Bin" folder. If you double click that you will see all of the files including the executable. I hope that makes sense.
    Libad said...
    I dont know how to get an exe out of vb
    it keeps giveing me the other thing and the source code. im not sure what that is maybe the code i wrote? if so then its a lot! lol

not sure how to include the bin and stuff

im sorry im a week new to VB just a quick learner

Sorry im lost

TTEC518@aol.com
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    James Dougherty

Ariel Productions
  • rwrw Posts: 6
    edited 2009-01-23 09:19
    Hello and thanks for a great forum!

First of all i guess i should say im new to rfid and haven't used VB for ages [noparse];)[/noparse]

I've downloaded the sourcecode (and the executables) in the first post here but i can't get it to work. The compiling works fine and i can choose COM10 which is where the usb-version is connected but it won't detect any tags.

I'm using Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition and the usb-version of the reader.

I don't get any errormessages either [noparse]:([/noparse]

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-01-23 16:48
    Is the LED changing color to indicate the RFID Reader is enabled? When you check/uncheck the enable box does the LED switch between Red/Green?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
    edited 2009-01-25 00:10
    Nope its always green...

I wonder if im so unlucky that i got a broken reader ?
    edited 2009-01-25 23:37
    It sounds like it's staying in idle mode.·Run a wire from·the ground to the·/enabled pin·on the RFID reader and see what happens. When you have it grounded out it the LED should stay red, which means it is in active mode.·From here you should be able to read tags.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    James Dougherty

Ariel Productions
  • UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,530
    edited 2009-01-26 00:28
    Hi, I think there is a strong chance that by enabling the reader everything will work fine , but I think running a wire from the ground connection to the enable pin in it's current state is likely to damage the onboard FTDI chip , I haven't seen a schematic or data sheet so I don't know that for sure.

There isn't a lot to it apart from the USB cable and the software , I would make sure the FTDI drivers were up to date and installed correctly and I would verify that Comm 10 is indeed the Comm port connected to the RFID module. If I was satisfied to that point and the Enable LED still did not go from green to red while alternately checking the Enable and Disable radio buttons on the RFID Reader software then I would probably call Parallax customer support and ask if they would exchange the module.

Jeff T.
    edited 2009-01-26 12:00
    We bought a new one and it works flawless smile.gif

Thanks for the help
    edited 2009-01-26 14:31
    @Unsoundcode: Missed the part about him using the USB version; sorry about that.

@rw: Glad to hear you got it working.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    James Dougherty

Ariel Productions
    edited 2009-01-26 16:40
    rw, did you arrange with our Tech Support Dept. to return the other one?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • TaiTai Posts: 5
    edited 2009-02-05 01:59
    Hi Chris,

In the first post, you show the RFID to PC connection. What is W, R and B stand for? I have the RFID Card Reader Serial, and the item code is 28140. It·has 4 pin, Vcc, Enable, Sout and Gnd. can you please tell me how can i connect it to the pc serial port?

Thanks
    Tai
    edited 2009-02-05 02:15
    Hi Tai, I believe you are reading the wrong schematic , the schematic you want is in the same thread and has·the heading·· RS-232 (PC) to Parallax, Inc. RFID Reader Module

Jeff T.
    edited 2009-02-05 19:43
    Thanks alot Jeff, i found the schematic. Can you please tell me the different between the 1st schematic and the 2nd? For the 2nd, it said "The second is a variation on the first allowing the DTR line to control the RFID Reader /ENABLE line " what does it mean by allowing the DTR line to control the RFID and how can i control it? This is my first time to work with this kind of thing and sorry if i asked too many thing.

Thanks
    Tai
    edited 2009-02-05 20:02
    Hi, the RFID reader has an Enable pin, to enable the reader the pin should be at 0v . Chris's schematics give you the option of either having the enable line permanantly held low so the RFID is always enabled or using the second schematic programatically controlling whether the enable pin is high or low the second option uses the DTR line of the serial connection as its input. If you can understand Visual Basic and have it installed on your computer then by looking at the VB software source in the original post you will see where Chris uses DTR to "switch" the reader on or off. If this is all new to you then I advise that to get started using the RFID just connect the enable to VSS.

Jeff T.

·
    edited 2009-02-05 20:17
    Tai,

The DTR line is connected through the driver circuit to the /ENABLE line on the RFID Reader. Since the /ENABLE line controls the RFID Reader, using the DTR line allows one to control it via the serial port interface since you can set it HIGH/LOW at will. Only the schematic with support for the DTR line will allow such control. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
    edited 2009-02-06 00:58
    Thanks alot Jeff and Chris, i got it now [noparse]:)[/noparse]))
  • ultimateremedyultimateremedy Posts: 29
    edited 2009-02-17 05:44
    Hi all

For USB RFID do i need any cable (but usb one)? and is there any change required in the code.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    An hour's contemplation is better than a year's adoration.
    edited 2009-02-17 16:35
    A USB Cable (A to Mini-B) is required for connection to the PC and the software above is recommended. I hope this helps. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
    edited 2009-03-02 06:13
    Hello everyone,

I am going to build the second circuit which recommanded by u guys, RS-232 (PC) to Parallax, Inc. RFID Reader Module (allowing the DTR line to control the RFID Reader /ENABLE line ), and communicate with VB6. If i build the circuit correctly, it will only read once when I swiped the card right? because i tried the 1st circuit and it keep on reading. I just want to make sure how to get it right, do i need to put some special code in VB? Sorry for asking so many question, and thanks for the help in advance.

Thanks
    Tai
  • b-rizleb-rizle Posts: 2
    edited 2009-03-02 23:51
    Hi, I was reading the technical documentation for the RFID reader, and it says that it uses TTL level serial transmission, at a baud rate of 2400 bps. I was wondering if this can (or is) be used with a UASRT communication interface for use with other microcontrolers?
    edited 2009-03-03 03:18
    Hello,

There are actually two different RFID Readers. One does have a TTL level serial output. This is a non-inverted signal @ 2400bps, 8, N, 1. If your microcontroller supports this data format then you should be able to connect the reader to your system. I hope this helps. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • Number FiveNumber Five Posts: 3
    edited 2009-03-06 08:00
    I am a disabled Air Force vet (34 yrs old so you don't think I'm old) and automating my house and putting electronic locks on my doors. Light switches are already in place and controlled by the alarm. I can turn on and off lights and the alarm useing a BS2 so if I add the RFID you can see the benefit. I have gone thru this thread and downloaded all the codes and programs and will be going thru each to find the best one. One thing I want to do is add a clock function and time limit RFID Cards so for example the lady that cleans my house will only have access from 4 to 8pm on Tuesday and Saturday and it will log if the card is tried or used before or after that time. I also don't know how to track time on the BS2 and wonder if it can be tracked using the CPU. I have a Dell desktop 1 gig cpu with 256 ram set aside for this one purpose. I appreciate any help.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-03-06 08:47
    @Number Five

Why don't you start a new thread about this in the sandbox? It will be on topic and get more views. I'll go ahead and reply now, and when you start the new thread I'll move my reply. EDIT: Moved to here.

So, you could use a desktop computer, but be warned that you'll have to learn a new programming language. Something like BASIC would work, as well as C++ and Java. It's a good option if you wish to expand and have a more powerful system, but it will take some work. If you already know one of these languages, so much the better.

Anyway, what you are proposing is certainly possible, and, if you know how to program adequately, shouldn't be all that difficult. If you go with the BS2 as your main brain, you'll have to add a real time clock (RTC) to keep track of time. Parallax sells a suitable module for this purpose, as does Futurlec (http://www.futurlec.com/Mini_DS1307.shtml). If you use your desktop as the main brain, then whatever language you choose will allow you to access the system clock.

For logging data, if you go with the desktop it's as simple as creating a file output stream to a text file. With the BS2, it's a little more complicated. You have two choices: log to EEPROM or log to a datalogger. If you choose EEPROM, you'll have to figure out a suitable method to output the data when you want to retrieve it. With the USB datalogger, you can create a txt file that you can then read on your computer.

More help can be had if you tell us what your programing and electronics skill levels are, and how much time/money you're willing to spend on this.

Post Edited (SRLM) : 3/7/2009 2:43:46 AM GMT
  • b-rizleb-rizle Posts: 2
    edited 2009-03-12 06:14
    Chris Savage (Parallax) said...
    Hello,

There are actually two different RFID Readers. One does have a TTL level serial output. This is a non-inverted signal @ 2400bps, 8, N, 1. If your microcontroller supports this data format then you should be able to connect the reader to your system. I hope this helps. Take care.

thanks, got it working flawlessly.
    my door is now lockable/un-lockable via RFID
    edited 2009-03-12 07:34
    Hello again!

I got a problem with the rfid-reader (usb) and the software in the first post. Im not sure if its hardware or software based but ill give it a try here first since i use the code from here as a base in my application.

We are currently using those readers in an assembly line and the tags are matched to a productnumber in a mysql database and shows the correct webpage with instructions etc etc...

But the thing is that after a while the green/red light starts to flash and the only way to reset it is to close the application and start it again, which isnt a acceptable solution for the operators using it...

I get the "error" while using the unmodified sourcecode above too...

Any ideas ?
    edited 2009-03-12 17:25
    rw,

The software has been tested to work reliably on our systems and we have not had any reports of similar issues from other customers or forum members. The Red/Green light flashing indicates the unit is being repeatedly enabled/disabled. It seems if your are somehow linking to some external database you would be using a modified version of the software.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
    edited 2009-03-13 10:53
    Chris Savage (Parallax) said...
    rw,

The software has been tested to work reliably on our systems and we have not had any reports of similar issues from other customers or forum members. The Red/Green light flashing indicates the unit is being repeatedly enabled/disabled. It seems if your are somehow linking to some external database you would be using a modified version of the software.

Well, i also wrote that i get the same error while using the unmodified sourcecode too..
    edited 2009-03-13 18:00
    rw,

I have never seen this issue, nor can I seem to reproduce it. Maybe more details would help…how long does the system run before it starts doing this? Is it after a certain number of cards each time or is it random? Have you tried getting updated USB drivers for the O/S you’re running? In fact, are you sure you have the correct drivers for your O/S?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • firdausfirdaus Posts: 1
    edited 2009-03-14 09:30
    hi everyone..plz help me how to display data from rfid tag to notepad without using rfid reader software or hyper terminal...thankz..