Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Difference between the SX-Blitz and the SX-Key — Parallax Forums

Difference between the SX-Blitz and the SX-Key

Dan TaylorDan Taylor Posts: 207
edited 2009-01-15 20:24 in General Discussion
Hi All:
I am soon to be getting a SX Programmer and have to choose a plug. What is the difference between the SX-Blitz and the SX-Key? There is like a $20.00 difference in cost. Why? Thanks for any answers.

btw Thanks for posting!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Dan Taylor

Post Edited (Dan Taylor) : 1/15/2009 8:16:08 PM GMT

Comments

• RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2009-01-15 19:34
    Hello Dan,

The SX-Blitz will only allow you to program the SX chips (which is fine for most projects)

For the extra $20 the SX-Key will allow you to program the SX chips (like the SX-Blitz) and it will also allow you to do in circuit debugging of your program (with a few restrictions). In order to perform debugging you need to unplug any external clock sources (resonator, TTL oscillator) so the SX-Key can generate the clock or you won't be able to enter debug mode.

If you only want to program the chips and don't need the debugger then the SX-Blitz if just fine.

Robert
  • Dan TaylorDan Taylor Posts: 207
    edited 2009-01-15 20:13
    So the SX-Blitz does not allow you to use the DEBUG menu? I am a little confused I am used to BASIC so when you say "debug mode" what do you mean? Is it the same thing as BASIC programming like just a pop-up menu that is reached through commands?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dan Taylor
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2009-01-15 20:14
    Dan,
    If you are new to the SX, get the SX-Key. The debugging feature is a "must have" for getting to know the SX.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    ·The next time you need a hero don't look up in the sky...Look in the mirror.

·
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2009-01-15 20:16
    Dan,
    I missed your last post.
    The debugging on the SX chip works alot differently than the BS2.
    You cannot output text like the BS2 DEBUG command.
    You can set breakpoints, watch variables, single step code, etc.

Trust me, get the SX-Key.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    ·The next time you need a hero don't look up in the sky...Look in the mirror.

·
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2009-01-15 20:17
    Correct, the SX-Blitz will only allow you to send new code down to the SX processors. No debug with the SX-Blitz. That is why it costs less.

I use both the SX-Blitz and SX-Key and most of the time just use them for programming the chips.

Robert
  • Dan TaylorDan Taylor Posts: 207
    edited 2009-01-15 20:24
    OK. That answers my questions. I think I will go for the SX-Key. Thank you both of you for the info. Much appreciated!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dan Taylor