Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
alternative power supply — Parallax Forums

alternative power supply

Jayguy5000Jayguy5000 Posts: 139
edited 2007-08-21 00:14 in BASIC Stamp
I am wondering, can I use a power supply from a computer to power the boe instead of a 9volt battery? is there anything that discusses this?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Actually I think Im going to add the whiskers to my tank and let it roam, just need to figure out where.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-08-20 20:17
    You could run the BOE off the 5V output, not using the built in regulator (don't connect it via the power input socket). The problem is that some of these PC power supplies have a minimum power drain requirement which the BOE won't supply.

A 7.5V to 9V "wall wart" with a current rating of 1-2A is the ideal supply, is pretty cheap, and readily available almost anywhere.

Although you can do much better in terms of variety and price from distributors like Jameco or DigiKey, you can find this at a Radio Shack store:
    9VDC 800mA Adapter | Model: 273-1768 | Catalog #: 273-1768
  • Jayguy5000Jayguy5000 Posts: 139
    edited 2007-08-20 20:23
    but no matter where I get an ideal power supply with the specs you described, where would I connect it?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Actually I think Im going to add the whiskers to my tank and let it roam, just need to figure out where.
  • pwillardpwillard Posts: 321
    edited 2007-08-20 22:00
    If it's 5.0 Volts... plug into Vdd If it's 6.5V or higher, to Vin. Lets not use it if it's between 5.5 and 6.5V.

You "could" theoretically connect GND (Black) and 12V (Yellow) from the pc power plug and connect to (GND)<->Vss and (12V)<->Vin as long as something ELSE is plugged in drawing power from the supply. As stated above... the BOE will not make the PC supply behave correctly. Best advice... avoid the temptation of using a PC supply.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

There's nothing like a new idea and a warm soldering iron.
  • Vern GranerVern Graner Posts: 337
    edited 2007-08-21 00:01
    Jayguy5000 said...
    I am wondering, can I use a power supply from a computer to power the boe instead of a 9volt battery? is there anything that discusses this?
    I have a number of Basic Stamp projects running from modified PC power supplies. In order for the PC power supply to operate, you have to provide a load for it to drive. For a while I would just hook up an old 3.5" IDE hard disk to one of the leads to provide the required load w/o having to modify the supply. Not elegant but it works.

Later, I found these instructions tthat detail how to modify a PC supply for use as a bench supply. Works fine for me. smile.gif

Vern

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Vern Graner CNE/CNA/SSE    | "If the network is down, then you're
    Senior Systems Engineer    | obviously incompetent so why are we
    Texas Information Services | paying you? Of course,if the network
    http://www.txis.com        | is up, then we obviously don't need
    Austin Office 512 328-8947 | you, so why are we paying you?" ©VLG

• D FaustD Faust Posts: 608
    edited 2007-08-21 00:14
    Are you talking that it is the wrong plug size? If so, you could buy a 2.1mm plug and attach it to the power supply. The boe has a 2.1mm jack. You know this, right. I think you should better explain your second question.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    LOOKDOWN ThisThread, [noparse][[/noparse]Your_?, My_?, Cool_Thing], looknum
    LOOKUP looknum, [noparse][[/noparse]1, 2, 3], subnum
    ON subnum GOTO Hope_this_helps, Thanks!, WOW!!
    END