Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
scribbler demo programs not doing what it should — Parallax Forums

scribbler demo programs not doing what it should

mageebmageeb Posts: 2
edited 2007-08-01 17:58 in Robotics
hello,

i had bought 10 units of scribbler robots for a summer program because i thought that it would be perfect for the kids invited. while testing the robot demo program i can only get the light sensor (demo 0) to work correctly. all the other programs don't seem to work. I have tried it in·a brightly lit room and even tried using it outside in the sun. I tried it on all 10 units and each perform the same way. There are times when one or more demo programs seemed to be running but intentionally. Any ideas? I am puzzled because the instructions is so simple but i
'm not getting the robots to perform as they should.

mageeb

Comments

• WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2007-07-31 18:00
    mageeb,

You can reload the original demo software from the Scribbler GUI Program using which ever cable type (serial or USB) you got, but try a few other things first.

My guess is that something simple is going wrong. Don't let a careful reveiw of the very basic steps offend you, please. I have found, I sometimes miss something simple myself and that is usually the problem rather than something big. The fact that all of you units seem to behave the same way makes me think it is not a problem with a particular Scribbler. Try fresh batteries first always. Sometimes low batteries will do wierd things.

Each demo as you know has a special function. With some, the Scribbler does not move, but shows you what the sensors are sensing or beeps while it sits still (like demo 0 and 2). While you cover a particular light sensor(s) (for whichever demo), then as you know, you press and release the reset button. Don't uncover the sensor till you hear the beep (after pressing the reset. As you have said, do this operation in good light - you should be able to do this inside though.

If you are trying Demo 4, this really needs to be on a hard surface - the distance between the sensor and lines works best on hard floors. You also might want to tape the papers down or together to avoid the Scibbler sliding them around.

Hope you get them going soon. They are really fun. Post back if you keep having problems. Parallax and the folks on the forum are great and will really try to help.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • mageebmageeb Posts: 2
    edited 2007-07-31 18:20
    Yeah I'm still having problems. I've restored the factory default programs. Right now I have all units hooked up to a pc and i've tested all of them.

Let me ask you this... if I cover with my finger over the right light sensor while pressing the reset button, the motors should begin to move? Also, what I noticed is·that the right green led remained on even when covering the right sensor ... while the left and center sensors cause their respective leds to turn on/off.

mageeb
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2007-08-01 02:33
    mageeb,

Does it do that on Demo 0? Does it do that on more than one Scribbler?

You may also want to try the Monitoring Sensors Icon·in the Scribbler GUI program. See the Help (?) menu at http://www.scribblerrobot.com/Help-v1.0a/english_help.html. As discribed, "The monitor button will give you access to the real-time sensor monitoring program. Make sure your Scribbler is powered up and connected to your PC, then click on the button, as shown, to transfer to the monitor program. When the monitor program starts, you will be standing inside the Scribbler, just behind the doors to the Sensor Observation Deck, waiting for them to open..." It continues on with more instructions. Always sit the Scribbler on something so the wheels are off the desk (in case the motors turn so it doesn't roll off).

This·will allow you·"sit" inside the Scribbler and·"see" what it sees. You can see how the sensors are being read.

If these things don't work,·you should e-mail·Parallax Technical Support at http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/tech/support/techhelp.asp·or give them a call at their toll-free number 888-99-STAMP

I know they can help you get if worked out. Good luck!

undefined

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Post Edited (Whit) : 8/1/2007 3:04:53 AM GMT
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2007-08-01 17:58
    Thanks for the great post, Whit.

Mageeb,

May I only add that the v1.0a software with the Observation Deck sensor monitor is not on the CD in the box - it was a later release and it can be downloaded free from our website.· The Default program in this version has also been updated, to prevent·an overly-sensitive·internal stall sensor from interfering with slow-speed line following.

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/software/scribbler.asp

You may also want to download and try the simple example programs in the "First Programs" and "Writing Programs" guides to see if you get the expected behavior from those.·

-Stephanie Lindsay
    Editor, Parallax Inc.