Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Donkey Kong with all new HDMF Lite! — Parallax Forums

Donkey Kong with all new HDMF Lite!

CardboardGuruCardboardGuru Posts: 443
edited 2007-05-25 16:20 in Propeller 1
Well, Eric has done sterling work, and made my week by not only adapting HDMF to the requirements of a zero free cogs case, but then getting the MIDI files and fitting it all together in a working copy of Donkey Kong. Many thanks Eric.

1) So we've now got musical acompaniment for the intro screens, background music for Level1 and bugle call for when it's hammering time!

2) So it follows that hammering was implemented. Time to go rampaging!

3) You can now score some points. Smash those barrels, fireballs and pies!

4) There's a part implemented bonus counter. It counts down, but you just freeze if you run out of time. Reset is the only way out. So don't dawdle.

5) There are end of level animations with Kong stealing Pauline away.

6) You can now finish level 4. Rather too easily if I recall where I left that feature.

Have fun!

Comments

• BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-05-24 19:04
    excellent work, keep it up.
    I really must set up a joypad, as I can't hack in a keyboard reader, no room or spare cogs [noparse]:([/noparse]
    Oh, well, it's at least going to spur me on to making a joypad port [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Can't wait to play it.
    Baggers.
  • CardboardGuruCardboardGuru Posts: 443
    edited 2007-05-24 19:43
    Actually you probably could hack in a keyboard driver if you wanted to. Set cogs = 4 rather than 5 and it'll still work. You'll just get a bit of distortion where there are a lot of sprites together.

And you can find an easy 1.5K by stealing the debug screen memory.
    Replace word debug_map[noparse][[/noparse]32*28] with word debug_map[noparse][[/noparse]0]
    Then comment out the two lines that call DebugInit()
    edited 2007-05-24 21:23
    good call [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    cheers, I'll do that tomorrow.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-05-25 02:34
    Hmm.. This looks like it would work fine on my Proto with my Atari interface. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Thanks for the great release!

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The comments and code above are proof that a million monkeys with a million propeller chips *could* write Shakespeare!
    edited 2007-05-25 16:20
    removed the debug buffer and hacked in a keyboard alternative to the joypad [noparse];)[/noparse]
    works a treat...
    nicely done CardboardGuru
    can't wait for collision detection for mario, and pickups
    and yes the last level is a tad to easy to complete at the mo lol

great job so far. [noparse];)[/noparse]