Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Manic Miner Progress - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Manic Miner Progress

Comments

• BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-05-23 09:22
    Hi CardboardGuru,
    I'm glad you got it working [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Oh, and a little hint for you, I've added two testing keys, key "A" for Advance level and key "D" for Death

PS, Andre' thanks for tip about the double line spacing, [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2007-05-23 09:23
    Bob, how did you run install it?
  • edited 2007-05-23 17:56
    I have COM10 on my comp, and it's correct. Oh..it only loads to RAM? so, I have to have it connected to the TV when it says: Start Download on the MS-DOS application?
    edited 2007-05-23 19:42
    yup
    there's two files, they both upload to ram
    the first is a spin app that copies leveldata and title screen to $8000-$e800 then when that's completed, it displays the title screen and says done at the bottom, then you press a key on the PC keyboard ( not the hydra one [noparse]:)[/noparse] ) to start the second upload, this is the game, and again is only uploaded to RAM, not eeprom, so if you want to have it stay on eeprom, you run the first one as normal, then using prop tool or HAM to upload the second file to eeprom.

let me know if this helps

Baggers.
    if not, I'll join them into one BIG eeprom, that you can use HAM to upload.
  • edited 2007-05-23 20:51
    It turns out that your zip version was messed up, I downloaded the RAR and everything works now. jumpin.gif

Post Edited (Bob the Builder on a C64) : 5/23/2007 10:04:46 PM GMT
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,253
    edited 2007-05-24 03:40
    Works great on my HYDRA.

Thanks, BTW. This is a great, fun game. Just got done playing a few levels. Love it.
    edited 2007-05-24 08:20
    Glad you all like it [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Was as fun for me making it as it is playing it.
    I'll be releasing the source later today, for all to have a look over if you want.

Bob, glad you got it working [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2007-05-24 13:15
    As promised, here's the source. It's not commented, as I've been too busy getting it done, and working etc.
    Feel free to ask questions, if need be.

http://www.jimbagley.co.uk/ManicMiner.rar
    http://www.jimbagley.co.uk/ManicMiner.zip

Post Edited (Baggers) : 5/24/2007 6:32:09 PM GMT
  • KaioKaio Posts: 253
    edited 2007-05-24 17:16
    I was not able to locate your domain without the www in front. But I have solved this and have downloaded the source.

Many thanks for sharing. I'm a Speccy fan and I love this game. Thank you for your great work.

Thomas
    edited 2007-05-24 18:31
    Oops, my bad, I must remember to add the www in links. I've fixed it now [noparse]:)[/noparse]

No Probs Thomas, glad you enjoy it.

Baggers
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-05-25 02:46
    I recognize a little of this code... You added support for the VGA to Atari Joystick adapter. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Very Cool. I'll give it a spin sometime tomorrow.

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The comments and code above are proof that a million monkeys with a million propeller chips *could* write Shakespeare!
    edited 2007-05-25 07:20
    Clemens,
    Thanks for the info, but the first file doesn't need loading to eeprom, as you just run it and it stores the important data in eeprom above the 32KB that prop tool has access to.
    Then the second one is run or loaded into eeprom ( run if you just want to play it until you turn the hydra off and leave what was in there before hand, or load to eeprom, if you want to keep it there for when you turn it back on next time. )

Oldbitcollector.,
    Yes, I'm going to make a joystick adapter too thanks, I put it in for people like us who don't have a hydra, but have a protoboard.
    Hope you don't mind. [noparse]:D[/noparse]

Baggers.
  • ClemensClemens Posts: 236
    edited 2007-05-25 16:19
    Baggers, sorry, my mistake, I deleted my last post, since it was a lot of text without information.
    wink.gif
    edited 2007-05-25 16:26
    k np [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2007-05-25 23:12
    I just tried your manic miner port and tho I never had a spectrum, it seems like a pretty good game. The only thing is the video driver is not fully compliant because at the top the screen it bends to the left. It does this from the top of the screen all the way down to the first row of tiles.·The timing code for your TV driver is off somewhere.
    edited 2007-05-26 07:41
    Yes, I know, it's JLC's Spectrum Driver, any chance of helping fix it? since you've done a few of your own?
    Cheers,

Baggers.
  • Jasper_MJasper_M Posts: 222
    edited 2007-05-26 09:44
    Baggers, try replacing the constant

VSCL_BackPorch = 269
    with
    VSCL_BackPorch = 34+143
    edited 2007-05-26 11:47
    Hi Jasper,
    Tried that but still to no avail my Redant 5" PSONE LCD is still curved at the top.
    I am however going to attempt to do one myself, and have a go at making a PAL one too.
    Before doing my next game on it.
    As I've played with it enough now to get my hands dirty with it [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Baggers.

Edit: I have just checked 34+143 on the CRT TV in the living room, and this has fixed it thanks [noparse]:)[/noparse] must be the TFT on it's way out, it has had trouble starting up the past couple of days.

Cheers for the tip Jasper.

Post Edited (Baggers) : 5/26/2007 11:58:28 AM GMT
    edited 2007-05-26 12:09
    Okay, here's another fix, I used it on one of my own TV drivers to make it work on LCDs, but I can't test it on LCD now cause my brother's watching TV...

replace the VSYNC_LOW function with

VSyncLow      mov       R0, #6
    :Loop         mov       VSCL, #VSCL_FrontPorch+VSCL_SynchronizingPulse
                  waitvid   COLOR_SYNC, #0
                  mov       VSCL, #VSCL_SynchronizingPulse
                  waitvid   COLOR_BLACK, #0
                  mov       VSCL, #VSCL_BackPorch           ' BackPorch = BreezeAway + ColourBurst + WaitToData
                  waitvid   COLOR_SYNC, #0
                  mov       VSCL, _VSCL_VisibleLine2
                  waitvid   COLOR_SYNC, #0
                  djnz      R0, #:Loop              
    VSyncLow_Ret  ret

and put

_VSCL_VisibleLine2 long VSCL_VisibleLine-VSCL_SynchronizingPulse

somewhere among the other vscl values.
    edited 2007-05-26 12:44
    still seems out [noparse]:([/noparse]
    edited 2007-05-26 12:49
    Damn... but it's gotta be something with VSYNC cause it affects only the upper screen... At least that was the problem with my NTSC driver...
    edited 2007-05-26 15:41
    Is the sync the same on blank lines as it is on graphical ones?

That could also explain the upper screen being distorted.

I've one really old TV and the Manic Miner driver, released, displays nicely, but does show the vertical bar at the bottom of the screen. The Parallax Driver and QuickNTSC one posted here do not do this. BTW, my newer SONY WEGA displays this perfectly. (It displays a lot perfectly, making it a horrible test unit...)

Any chance at improving the contrast on some of the colors? Maybe this isn't true to speccy output, but would significantly improve the game display on many of the screens.

My kids spend a long time playing this game, BTW.
    edited 2007-05-26 15:59
    yeah, my panasonic HD displays it perfectly too
    by the way Jasper, my CRT in the front room now displays it correctly [noparse]:)[/noparse] so I'm guessing it's the LCD on it's way out, will do some testing with that on other things.
    Yup, just plugged DTV into LCD, and yup, does the same thing, tilts off to the left at the top, so I'm going to recon it's the LCD now and the driver is now perfect.
    Thanks for the help in sorting this.
    Cheers,
    Baggers.
    edited 2007-05-26 16:13
    potatohead said...
    Is the sync the same on blank lines as it is on graphical ones?

That could also explain the upper screen being distorted.

I've one really old TV and the Manic Miner driver, released, displays nicely, but does show the vertical bar at the bottom of the screen. The Parallax Driver and QuickNTSC one posted here do not do this. BTW, my newer SONY WEGA displays this perfectly. (It displays a lot perfectly, making it a horrible test unit...)

Any chance at improving the contrast on some of the colors? Maybe this isn't true to speccy output, but would significantly improve the game display on many of the screens.

My kids spend a long time playing this game, BTW.
    It's sorted now, I'll zip the source up and put it on my site and·I should change the version number of the source to 002 to keep Andre' happy [noparse]:)[/noparse]

As for the contrast, god knows lol, might be easier and faster for you to change the setting on your tv tongue.gif like I said the Spectrum Display Driver is JLC's not mine, but I intend to do my own version.

Glad your kids enjoy playing it [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    ·
    edited 2007-05-26 16:36
    Heck, I enjoyed this game. Never played it before. Made for a nice retro experience.

I'll look at the sources for the colors. I want to examine the speccy driver anyway.
    edited 2007-05-26 18:56
    When I wrote my NTSC text mode driver, I had the same problem - but only on LCDs. But I got it fixed by moving the low VSYNC forward so that phase stays the same...
    edited 2007-05-26 19:48
    potatohead, glad you like it too, it does have a nice retro feel to it, that was one of the reasons I wanted to use the spectrum display over CardboardGuru's DK display with sprites, as the sprite would have been nice, but removed the retroness of the game with attribute clashes.

Cheers for the tip Jasper_M, probably wouldn't have seen that as I'm not an NTSC person, I've done PAL timing before with some other company's small chip which I probably can't mention here lol
    but as you can imagine, those things aren't really fast, specially at full speed they're only 10mips, so it was RGB using scart, did quite well on that, but any changes to game logic meant changing timing to make sure to keep the HSync going and sound I did sample playing in the 4us HSync delay [noparse];)[/noparse] but that's another story, anyway, now I have something fast enough to do the colour burst, I'd like to do attempt a PAL display.

Baggers.
    edited 2007-05-27 14:32
    TV Display Updated, with fixes from Jasper_M

http://www.jimbagley.co.uk/ManicMiner002.zip

http://www.jimbagley.co.uk/ManicMiner002.rar

Baggers.

PS, Anyone who had curved top line of screen display with the previous version, please try this and let me know if it's worked or not on your tv.
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,108
    edited 2007-05-27 19:32
    Jim,
    I have to say that what you have achieved is amazing.
    As I sit here typing this my 9 year old daughter is playing MM and thinks it is soooo cool!
    The Xbox 360 won't get a look in now.
    The only thing I have spotted so far is that after game over the name of the last level you were in appears on the tile screen.
    I can't remember if the original did or didn't...

Anyways, well done sir you are top of the class.

Best regards,

Coley

PS Am using Demo board and SD card interface
    edited 2007-05-28 08:14
    Hi Coley,
    Thanks [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    I'm glad your daughter likes it so much lol, sorry you spent so much getting an Xbox360 when you could have just got her a Demoboard + SD card interface, would have been a lot cheaper for you [noparse]:D[/noparse]
    As for level name on title screen after game over, I'll have a quick play on the original to check.
    I'll probably have a play with putting in some jump sound fx too [noparse]:)[/noparse] to finish it off completely, before looking into doing Jet Set Willy.

Jim.