Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller IDE running under Mepis Linux — Parallax Forums

Propeller IDE running under Mepis Linux

dnaddordnaddor Posts: 26
edited 2007-05-13 15:43 in Propeller 1
Maybe this has already been done and is no big deal, but I was amazed that it worked and how easy it was.

I have Mepis 6.5. I installed VirtualBox. I installed Windows XP in the virtual box, and shared the FTDI USB serial port. I downloaded code to the Propeller chip and it just worked!

I keep reading how people want the IDE to run native in Linux and/or on a Mac. Is Wine not an option because of the FTDI drivers? Couldn't someone make a cable that converts RS-232 to TTL, and then plug in somewhere else on the development board?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-05-13 14:33
    Wine is not an option because the Propeller Tool uses some Microsoft APIs that Wine doesn't implement. As long as you can install WindowsXP in some kind of emulator or virtualization software, you can run the Propeller Tool. I've done it (slowly!) on a PPC Mac using both GuestPC and VirtualPC. I did try under CodeWeavers' commercial extension of Wine and couldn't get it to work there either.
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,255
    edited 2007-05-13 15:43
    The virtual machine solution is adequate for me also. One of the very nice things about VM's is they are portable. Get your dev setup just the way you like it, write it to some media and have no worries from there. I do this with a lot of software that I must demo, support, etc...

If you wanted to, you could do some win32 tricks, like redefine the shell, put the app in the startup sequence, map a shared drive, or make ftp shortcuts, etc...

Then just click on the VM, let it boot and your app is running in a window.