Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Shameless plug for Xenon products — Parallax Forums

Shameless plug for Xenon products

metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
edited 2007-04-04 17:36 in General Discussion
It can't be any easier to do RF control then this little package. Right out of the box, the keyfob has 4 buttons A,B,C and D (The battery is already in it too!) the receiver has +5V and ground, a data valid pin and 4 other pins that simply go high when you press any of the 4 buttons. Best of all,my house is 50 feet long, at one end I have the receiver and from one floor below (finished basement with soundproofing in ceiling as well) at the opposite end the unit works perfect.

I connected 5 LEDS with 1K resistors on each of the output pins and the data valid pin to test the range. Stuck a bit of wire in the antenna hole without even soldering it in.

I bought some of each of the other units they sell as well to experiment with.

So make yourself a keyfob controlled light switch or whatever this little thing rocks.

Hint: go to the transmitter only and receiver only to buy the combo for about 1/2 what is listed in this link.

http://www.xenon-tech.com/index_eproduct_view.php?products_id=3

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Think Inside the box first and if that doesn't work..
Re-arrange what's inside the box then...
Think outside the BOX!

Comments

• metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2007-04-03 22:54
    I connected a 500HZ signal to the input data port on the RF module linked below. Attached is the scope output. ROCK SOLID at 500hz from the receiver. (in the same room)

Then 4khz square wave and again rock solid. (in same room)

I will have to put the transmitter on a portable board to test range for high freq signals but I am playing with so many projects now I don't have any empty breadboards, yikes...

Tested its range , I can go to any point in my house and receive the signal perfectly clear.

http://www.xenon-tech.com/index_eproduct_view.php?products_id=4

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think outside the BOX!
    855 x 781 - 27K
    871 x 780 - 28K
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2007-04-04 14:34
    lots of promise for them little modules!

Would be interested to see how it works with 'noise' or other interference (other products on same freq).

Might be worth developing a little scheme to modulate your signal (or just pulse code it).

cheers

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2007-04-04 17:36
    One thing I am going to try is lowering the receivers power draw for battery operated devices. I don't know how fast it powers up but I know it uses 4ma at 5V. I am thinking of turning it on for 5mS and then off for 495mS using an Atiny13V That would lower the battery drain to around 0.08mA. Unless it takes more time to stabilize.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think outside the BOX!