Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Homebuilt propeller board — Parallax Forums

Homebuilt propeller board

The WangsterThe Wangster Posts: 13
edited 2007-02-24 18:32 in Propeller 1
I built a simple parallax propeller board consisting of a homemade pcb (for the rs232 to usb converter) with a breadboard. I can't get propeller tool to see the prop chip. Windows sees the usb device and virtual com port, but i can't get anything to transmit/receive. I checked the circuit many times, and cannot find any errors or shorts. What may be causing the problem

Comments

• parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-02-22 18:46
    Perhaps you can post or link to the schematic that you are using for this circuit. Then we can see if the fault lies in the design, or the implementation.

The fact that your computer acknowledges the USB device is promising, so we know that part of the circuit is good. That leaves the connection to the Propeller, or the Propeller itself is not responding. I assume the Propeller is properly powered, grounded, etc?

We are all eager to help

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Poe
  • The WangsterThe Wangster Posts: 13
    edited 2007-02-23 16:36
    I plugged it in today, and it worked (for some strange reason). But the problem is that sometimes propeller tool can find the chip, other times it can't. I checked for any loose solder joints or connections. What may be causing this? (I built part of the circuit on a solderless breadboard, so I think this might be part of the problem.)
  • The WangsterThe Wangster Posts: 13
    edited 2007-02-24 17:38
    The circuit is the one in the propeller demo board with two modifications:

The mic, audio, video, keyboard, and mouse circuits were removed.
    The programmer was modified to use a FT232BM. The circuit in the FT232BM datasheet was used.

Strangely enough, I plugged it in today, and it worked almost perfectly. I tried plugging it in different ports, moving the boards roughly to do an abuse test, and it still worked, the Propeller Tool only failing to find the chip twice.

I'M STUMPED.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-02-24 18:32
    Electrical noise can do it. It depends on what part of the circuit is on the breadboard. Make sure you've got adequate power supply filtering close to the Prop chip.