Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
using the extra 32k of eeprom on the Prop Proto boards — Parallax Forums

using the extra 32k of eeprom on the Prop Proto boards

Jim FouchJim Fouch Posts: 395
edited 2007-02-13 16:49 in Propeller 1
Does anyone have example code that allow the usage (Read/Write) to the extra 32K or EEPROM on the Prop Proto board?

I just got some and want to play....··yeah.gif

Thanks,

Jim

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-02-12 20:31
    Use one of the I2C libraries in the object exchange and set the address to $8000 or greater, it gets more complicated when you are trying to access locations greater than 64K.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-02-12 21:28
    The Basic_I2C_Driver object automatically takes care of addresses greater than 64K. The issue is that the basic device addressing is 2 bytes (a 64K address space). Anything beyond that is handled by addressing a different device. The 128Kx8 devices appear like two 64Kx8 devices. The Atmel AT24LC1024 appears as two 64Kx8 EEPROMs with successive device addresses ($A0 and $A2 or $A4 and $A6 based on the chip select lines). The Microchip 24LC1025 has a different arrangement with non-adjacent device addresses ($A0 and $A8, $A2 and $AA, $A4 and $AC, or $A6 and $AE based on the chip select lines). The Basic_I2C_Driver treats its EEPROM address as a contiguous 256Kx8 address space and uses the upper 3 bits of the address to produce the device select code. The Atmel chip might have addresses $00000 through $1FFFF. The Microchip chip might have addresses $00000 through $0FFFF and $40000 through $4FFFF.
  • Jim FouchJim Fouch Posts: 395
    edited 2007-02-13 03:39
    Just wondering if it would be posible to have a windows program be able to download / upload data to the extra 32K space?

Being able to access the EEPROM from a propeller program is real cool, but being able to download extra fonts/bitmaps/sound files easily from a PC based program would be way cool.

My guess is that is kind of what the Prop Tool does but just to be base 32K.
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2007-02-13 03:50
    >>>Just wondering if it would be posible to have a windows program be able to download / upload data to the extra 32K space?

It looks like the Hydra Asset Manager does this http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=628778
  • KeeblerKeebler Posts: 58
    edited 2007-02-13 09:33
    Forrest said...
    >>>Just wondering if it would be posible to have a windows program be able to download / upload data to the extra 32K space?

It looks like the Hydra Asset Manager does this http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=628778

Precisely [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2007-02-13 12:21
    I downloaded the Hydra Asset Manager, and it looks really cool. I Haven't tried it yet with my Proto board, but I think it should work.

Does anyone have info on the serial protocol that is used to read/write to the eeprom from the PC?
    edited 2007-02-13 15:52
    Jim Fouch said...
    I downloaded the Hydra Asset Manager, and it looks really cool. I Haven't tried it yet with my Proto board, but I think it should work.

Does anyone have info on the serial protocol that is used to read/write to the eeprom from the PC?

Thanks for the compliment. I'm still working on adding some new features:
    • HexEdit assets in memory
    • "Shove" mode - Holding down control will allow you to move an asset and any asset that it comes in contact with.
    • Save Layout - Save off all the assets, their memory locations and any hex edits the user has performed.

As for the protocol, what did you want to know?

Rich
    edited 2007-02-13 16:15
    Rich,

Is it just a basic serial communication protocol? Could I just write a simple VB app that will talk with the eeprom through a Prop Plug's USB to Serial adaptor? I'm not trying to over simplify the process, just wondering if it's that simple. I'm not looking to reprogram the Prop, just read/write data to the extra 32K of space to store fonts/images/sounds, then use code on the prop to read/write to that same area @ run time.

Thanks,

jim
    edited 2007-02-13 16:26
    Jim Fouch said...
    Rich,

Is it just a basic serial communication protocol? Could I just write a simple VB app that will talk with the eeprom through a Prop Plug's USB to Serial adaptor? I'm not trying to over simplify the process, just wondering if it's that simple. I'm not looking to reprogram the Prop, just read/write data to the extra 32K of space to store fonts/images/sounds, then use code on the prop to read/write to that same area @ run time.

Thanks,

jim

Yes, just a basic serial communication protocol.

Why write the VB app? H.A.M. (Hydra Asset Manager) should do everything you need.
    Admittedly, I do need to make the eeprom size selectable by the user. Currently, it assumes 128KB. I'll try and work on that this weekend.

Rich
    edited 2007-02-13 16:49
    Rich,

Yes I think H.A.M will work perfect. I looked a bit at the Propeller code to interface w/ the eeprom and it looks great. It's almost like a FAT system.

If I wanted to I could add another larger eeprom also and make an adaptor to manage it also with H.A.M? I can see having the ability to manage ALL the space on a chip. Only for added eeproms, not the one that the Prop uses for it's program space.

Thanks,

Jim