Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Lynxmotion Hexapod III with Propeller Brain.... — Parallax Forums

Lynxmotion Hexapod III with Propeller Brain....

edited 2006-12-28 09:44 in Propeller 1
Hi.. I finally finished the assembly of my Lynxmotion Extreme Hexapod III with ... what else?? a Propeller brain!!... hop.gif

For the servo control.. I am using the servo32.spin object (Thank you very much Beau Schwabe at Parallax for this great object)... this Hexapod is a very good way to test the servo32.spin object since it has 18 servos (6 legs, 3 servos per leg).. and I have to say that the operation of the servos is incredibly smooth even with the Hexapod walking at higher speeds, and when the Hexapod is stationary the servos maintain their positions without jerking or variation of torque... I am very glad with the results of the servo.spin object... turn.gif

The breadboard is very simple... a row of connectors for the 18 servos... I have yet to add the EEPROM, the crystal socket and regulators, but I have plenty of space on the prototyping board to add more components... I tested the connections from the Propeller to the servos based on the recommendation of using 4.7K Ohms resistors between the Propeller pins and the Signal Input to the servos... but I didn't notice any change for the better or the worse in the servo behavior... perhaps somebody can explain the recommendation for those resistors... I connected all 18 servos directly to the pins of the Propeller (no resistors at all) and it works perfectly...

I attached a picture of the board and a video of the Hexapod in action... smurf.gif

Happy Roboting....
"Propeller.... Unleash the REVOLUTIONs"

Comments

• acantostegaacantostega Posts: 105
    edited 2006-12-23 01:38
    Cool... the Propeller + servo32.spin definitely puts all the commercial servo controllers I've seen to shame.
  • tdustdus Posts: 6
    edited 2006-12-25 07:47
    very very cool !

how are the legs built? please please more pictures of the mechanics.
    bye, ...must go buying servos
    wink.gif
  • edited 2006-12-26 00:18
    Hey Tdus, I am glad you like my Hexapod... I don't have many pictures yet, but I will post it as soon as I can, details about the robot, I bought it from www.lynxmotion.com, the makers of this Extreme Hexapod III, the servos (18 in total) are Hitec HS645MG, this are the most powerful servos in standard size made by Hitec.... the Hexapod is made of Lexan, a polycarbonate which is very strong, commonly used in RC Racing cars... the battery pack I build it from discarded Lithium Ion laptop batteries (12 in total in a Series / Parallel arrangement, it gives me about 8.2 volts when fully charged) although this amout of batteries makes the robot heavier than normal, I am using high torque servos....(due to the size and amount of batteries, I had to custom build my own Lithium Ion charger based on the National Semiconductor LM3622-8.2 IC) as a personal touch I added micro switches to the tip of each toe (these switches I actually removed from old computer mouse) so my idea is to connect them to the Propeller and that way sense if the toe is touching the ground (hey, I don't want it to tumble down stairs smile.gif so far the project is in the initial stages, but my plan is to add an arm, more sensors and a LCD.. Talk to you soon.. C-Ya!!

Post Edited (Joe "Bot" Red) : 12/27/2006 4:02:35 PM GMT
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2006-12-27 06:19
    Joe "Bot" Red.

Thanks for your comments, I'm glad the servo32.spin object is working well for you... There was a bit of effort that went into how that object would work. To answer your question on the 4.7K resistors... This is mainly to help suppress any back emf that might make its way into the controller through the signal line. This is usually more noticeable with long runs (3ft or more) between the servo and the controller. It's not a requirement, but more of a precaution.

acantostega,

Thanks for your comments as well!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Beau Schwabe (Parallax)) : 12/27/2006 7:26:03 AM GMT
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-12-28 09:44
    Quite beautiful. 18 servos with SMOOTH operation!

The Hexapod is quite a challenge.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan