Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Outputing 25mhz using counters — Parallax Forums

Outputing 25mhz using counters

Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
edited 2006-12-13 22:21 in Propeller 1
Can a Propeller running at 80mhz (5mhz xtal + 16pll) generate a stable 25mhz output using the built in counters? I read in another post that the synthesized frequency should be a multiple of the main clock signal. Unfortunately I don't know what else is required to generate a stable frequency so I am asking this question.

I am asking this because I am going to try to write an extremely limited tcp/ip stack using the Propeller and a ENC28J60 ethernet chip from Microchip. This chip requires an accurate 25mhz clock source in order to generate correctly timed ethernet signals.

Harrison

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-12-13 12:45
    Harrison,
    If I did the math right you would load the FRQx register with $1400_0000 which would give you 6.25 MHz (with an 80MHz clock), then use the x4 PLL to get 25MHz exactly.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com
    Stuff I'm selling on ebay http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZhittconsultingQQhtZ-1

"USA Today has come out with a new survey - apparently, three out of every four people make up 75% of the population." - David Letterman
  • Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2006-12-13 22:21
    I'll try that this weekend. I'll probably scope the output to see how stable and clean the output is (just for kicks).

Harrison