Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller QFN Land Pattern HERE!!! - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Propeller QFN Land Pattern HERE!!!

2»

Comments

• NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2006-07-29 00:16
    Thanks, Chip.· That will make the layout a bit easier.· Did yu get my PM?

Sid
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2006-07-31 15:41
    Thanks Seeker...
    I tried it before and it was rather lacking in the libs (as well as my expierence in using any layout program...)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Propeller + Hardware - extra bits for the bit bucket =· 1 Coffeeless KaosKidd

·
  • SeekerSeeker Posts: 58
    edited 2006-07-31 18:27
    Kaos Kidd said...
    Thanks Seeker...
    I tried it before and it was rather lacking in the libs (as well as my expierence in using any layout program...)

Check out this post:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=598850

Someone there has created the propeller and eeprom parts for Eagle.· Plus, if you go to the library download page (of Eagle) there are dozens of other libraries you can download.· I can always find what I'm looking for there.· Or I just use a generic footprint and "roll my own".

Good luck which ever way you decide to go.
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2006-08-01 17:02
    seeker;
    I found the lips and was able to dl them all... this time... I forget what the issue was last time...
    Any way, between demos and conferences I'll see if I can play with it...
    Thanks

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Propeller + Hardware - extra bits for the bit bucket =· 1 Coffeeless KaosKidd

·
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2006-08-02 18:49
    Chip, I received the chips today.· Laid one of them on the partial LQFP pattern I had etched with Supermill and it fit perfectly!· Now I have to see if I can make a footprint for the whole chip.· Thank you very much.

Sid
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2006-12-03 15:01
    Might I suggest a short datasheet, probably a couple pages, for each Propeller chip? The datasheet would have the pinouts, footprints, and other min/max voltages/current requirements.

I am working on a design and gathering the datasheets for the components used. I have not located a comprehensive document for the Propeller's physical and operating characteristics thus I am going to have to stitch together the information I found - not fun. It seems like the datasheet could easily be done, the information is out there, but in various places.· I need to build a footprint for my schematic/PCB designer and knew I saw the footprint somewhere.· I had to do a forum search to find it.· Glad the forum is here, but to me the footprint information is too essential to expect others to dig in here to find it.

A suggestion.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter
    tdswieter.com
    One little spark is all it takes for an idea to explode

Post Edited (Timothy D. Swieter) : 12/3/2006 3:06:17 PM GMT
  • don.segliodon.seglio Posts: 4
    edited 2006-12-03 17:54
    When using a hot air gun, you use soldering paste, which is not the same as flux. Flux contains no solder, soldering paste does.

Here is a link to a tutorial on using a toaster oven to do SMT, there are links to two other methods, embossing air gun, and skillet, as well as a source of soldering paste in small quantities.

http://www.hpsdr.com/Public/Projects/SMT/SMT.html

I'm getting ready to layout my own Propeller board using a CAD package, prior to this I would use photoshop to create the art. It will use the QFP package and have VGA, keyboard/mouse/audio ports and a SMT breadboard area.

I have a copy of EagleCadd Professional that a friend that was retiring gave to me, but I find it very counter intuative, you have to remember a lot of control keys that are not obvious. I seems this program when first created was not done with ease for the user in mind.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don.Seglio

"Sacred Cows make the best Hamburger!" Don Seglio Batuna
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-12-03 21:26
    I am presently working on the datasheet and collection of the data to be included. If there is any data you are still in need of let me know and I'll communicate whatever I already have.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • edited 2006-12-04 17:11
    How about PLCC 44 Pin? at 1.27 mm gap between pins; it has the same pin gap as SOIC, which is about as far as we hobbyists can go when it comes to SMD soldering ... and it has the benefit of having both through-hole and SMD sockets available online for dirt chip...· smile.gif···· Also.. the IC footprint won't be too bad compared to a SOIC solution..· eyes.gif
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2006-12-04 22:33
    Thank you Paul!· I will be on the look out for the datasheet.· At the moment there isn't any particular information missing that I needed for my design.· I just like having the information in a concise document instead of having to go look for it.

Let us know when it is·ready and posted.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter
    tdswieter.com
    One little spark is all it takes for an idea to explode
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-12-04 23:53
    Yes, I will be definitely posting to the forums when it is availible for download.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • don.segliodon.seglio Posts: 4
    edited 2006-12-12 05:18
    1.27mm is super easy to solder even with a soldering iron, but with a oven or embossing gun .25mm is no problem but you should have a solder mask to prevent shorts.

If you are using homemade boards then your won't do as well, it's hard making PC's with superfine pitch at home. With homemade boards tin plating helps to make the soldering easier.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don.Seglio

"Sacred Cows make the best Hamburger!" Don Seglio Batuna
  • T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,198
    edited 2006-12-12 08:54
    I have been making Propeller QFP's with ease, as well some tssop .5mm fine pitch parts. I posted some info on how I make them in the sandbox a while back. If anyone is interested I'd be happy to elaborate on the process, but it is simple and after a few practice runs, it is much easier than pencil soldering though. You can do it with just solder paste and a heat gun, I prefer a convection oven to do multiple boards at at time, but a heat gun will get you up and running. I have a friend with a laser and we have been making mylar stencils for a few people, I think it is just as functional as a stainless stencil, and costs only fifty cents for one sheet plus a few bucks for his fee. I am setting up a process to run stencils for some guys for a small fee to cover my friends laser overhead($40k machine), it may be around $30 per board for a stencil. I hage plans for a dirt cheap stencil printer I c ould share that is much better than using a stencil without. The parts would run under $50, and the effort would be well spent. If someone didn't want to go the stencil route, then just take a small screwdriver and smear some paste over the pads, lay the IC on the pads and heat it up. Within a short time with a heat gun, you'll see the paste start running to the pins, then it is done. If a bridge occurs as a result of too much paste, don't bother with a wick, it is much easier to dab a lot of flux over the pins, and you can draw the excess sodler(bridge) out with the flux by pulling the pencil away from the pins, and allowing the solder to flow out onto the traces.

here are some pics of the Prop QFP and a Tssop .5mm pitch IC. Not the clearest pics, but you get the idea. These are proto boards, no mask. The total time to make these boards was about 60 seconds applying the paste over the stencil, less that a two minutes placing the smt parts, 6 minutes in the oven, then some cleaning of the board in water. Let me know if anyone wants more info let me know.
    547 x 345 - 86K
    691 x 505 - 74K