Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HYDRA: Game in the 128K card does not work — Parallax Forums

HYDRA: Game in the 128K card does not work

inakiinaki Posts: 262
edited 2006-11-23 11:59 in Propeller 1
After having tried several demo games I tried the one that comes within the 128K card, the "Ball Buster".

To my surprise it does not work. Well it seems it is·doing something·but the picture is completely garbled!
It is interesting that every other demo I have tried work well except this one.

The led in the base of the card slot lights up, as expected.

If I compile the Ball Buster game in Propeller Tool and I load to RAM, it works. So the problem is not the game itself, but the card/slot.

Is there any special requirement/setting to work with games in the memory card ?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Comments

• inakiinaki Posts: 262
    edited 2006-11-22 14:07
    I have compiled and saved several games to the 128K card and they work.
    However, I have compiled and saved Ball Buster and it does not work !
    If I try it again and again from time to time it success to work. This game even can fail when saved to RAM.

So, for some reason this game has trouble working on my Hydra.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-11-22 14:28
    If it is limited to one game and occurs sometimes.....
    Sounds like some bad bytes in the EEPROM.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2006-11-22 17:49
    The TV driver is not 100% to spec because on a digital tv I tried it in just showed up in black and white.

Try downloading and programming·a program on the cart and see what happens.

Post Edited (JT Cook) : 11/22/2006 6:00:37 PM GMT
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2006-11-22 17:54
    When using the memory card, make sure you a good insertion into the slot, and if its just happening with this single demo then make sure you have the latest version of the demo with is JTC_B_Buster_005.spin. Also, if you haven't already make sure to install the spin editor from the CD 0.9.81 and see if you have the same behavior as the latest version 1.01.

Also, as JT mentioned the drivers are the same for Ball Buster and many other game demos, so if one works they all work. Lastly, make sure that when you opened the game file, you didn't accidentally type a single character into it? Or a single space, that would change the whole program meaning. So try from the CD again, etc.

Sounds like the hardware is 100%, just you are getting a fragged file or using an old version. I just tried the production hydra with·the card with the game, uploaded, ran no problem. Runs on at least 50 different TV manufacturers and models here.

Does the racer 3D game work onm your TV, if so, same driver. Also, the same driver is used for alien invasion, give that one a try as well.

Andre'

Post Edited (AndreL) : 11/22/2006 6:35:16 PM GMT
    edited 2006-11-22 22:36
    I have saved on the card several games, among them X-racer and AlienInvader and they work.

Regarding BallBuster. Which is the difference between versions 1,2,3,4,5 ?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-11-22 22:36
    I have saved on the card several games, among them X-racer and AlienInvader and they work.

Regarding BallBuster. Which is the difference between versions 1,2,3,4,5 ?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2006-11-23 00:20
    The higher the number, the newer the version. So 5 is the newest version. Basiclly while we were developing the programs we uploaded a newer version to Andre every so often.
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2006-11-23 00:33
    The versioning is outlined in the book also when I talk about developing software for the propeller, using drivers, and working with teams. For example, driver.spin is a very bad name, but mouse_driver_010.spin is a good name, since we know what it is, plus there is some kind of version in the file name. This minimizes filename collisions and confusions. So 2 things, make sure you are loading the TOP level spin fies, the latest versions as outlined in Chapter 25 (if you are loading demo coder work), and you compiler and download the main file. Sounds like you might be loading an old file, or not the top level file, etc. But, if you say that when you download it to the hydra it works, and so do all the other demos on the card, but then BALL BUSTER specifically when downloaded to the card doens't work, that is truly bizzare. We have done it a billiojn times, did it this morning with 10 different game cards, 4 different hydra's, all works fine as it has and. Also, make sure you try both F10 and F11, and make sure to reset the hydra after the load and let it reload from the eeprom etc.

Its possible the eeprom on the memory card has a bad cell, but it would be the first time I have ever actually seen that. Atmel are very good chips and very reliable.

Andre'
    edited 2006-11-23 11:59
    I found the problem. It was the keyboard!
    I was trying to fix the problem with Tiny Basic so I removed the keyboard and the Ball Buster problem vanished!

I have replaced the keyboard with another one identical that I had from Parallax Demo Kit. Now it works as expected.

Thanks for your support.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔