Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Simple "On-Off" technique for the Homework Board — Parallax Forums

Simple "On-Off" technique for the Homework Board

RongRong Posts: 25
edited 2006-07-27 16:57 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I have been using a Parallax Homework board for some time. I had built a battery enclosure with a switch that led to a nine volt connector to hook up to the board. Recently I started simply snapping in only the + side of the nine volt battery to the terminal on the board, and by simply twisting the battery down or up, I turn the board on or off. This overcomes the shortcoming of this board, no power switch... This works well for non-mobile applications, where there is no vibration. Simple, and saves wear and tear on the battery terminals on the board....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Ron Giuntini

San Francisco

Comments

• MST3KMST3K Posts: 2
    edited 2006-07-25 02:28
    I just purchased a homework board and was also looking for an easy way to turn it on/off. I was thinking of soldering a 9V battery snap connector to a switching power supply and just plugging/unplugging the power supply from the wall outlet. The power supply output is adjustable to 3, 3.3, 5, 6, 6.5 and 7 volts. The current rating for the supply is 2100 mA. Will this power supply work okay set at 6, 6.5 or 7 volts without damaging the homwork board?
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-07-25 07:21
    You can just wire an on/off switch inline with the 9v adapter.

If you have questions about the power supply, send an email to tech support.
  • edited 2006-07-27 16:57
    By putting this code at the beginning of your program, it makes it possible to use the BASIC Stamp HomeWork Board's Reset button as a toggle on/off switch. Granted, it doesn't disconnect power, but it does cause the application to stop and put the BASIC Stamp into low power mode.

ResetOnOff DATA 0

temp var byte

READ ResetOnOff, temp

temp = temp + 1

WRITE ResetOnOff, temp

IF temp.BIT0 = 0 THEN END