Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller and Elexol Ether I/O 24 Interface? — Parallax Forums

Propeller and Elexol Ether I/O 24 Interface?

Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
edited 2006-07-11 18:04 in Propeller 1
All--

I'm a newbie with very little electronics background. (Computer guy.) I would like to interface a Propeller (or one of the higher-end Stamps) to an Elexol Ether I/O 24 (http://www.elexol.com/Downloads/EtherIO24DS1.pdf).

Do you have any ideas how I might go about this?

Thanks!

--Bill

Comments

• SSteveSSteve Posts: 808
    edited 2006-07-06 21:38
    After a quick glance at the docs it looks like this is something you'd want to use with a computer, not a microcontroller. The device already has a microcontroller with 24 i/o lines. Trying to connect it to a Propeller or BS2 would be redundant. The Propeller and BS2p40 each has 32 i/o lines of its own.

Can you describe what your "big picture" goal is? That should help you get some more specific advice.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    OS-X: because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows

links:
    My band's website
    Our album on the iTunes Music Store
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2006-07-11 00:55
    Steve--

What I REALLY want to do is add a lot of I/O ports to the Ether I/O 24 and be able to sense my machine's every joint. Like you implied, I want the real processing to be done by a PC . . . via WiFi. The problem is that the Ether I/O 24 does not come in a wireless version. I have suggested it to Elexol and they like the idea, but that is then and this is now.

Therefore, I figured worst case I could still get a wireless PC--or a network of them--to do the processing for me if I lugged an access point around in the robot. One thing leads to another. Pretty soon I figured (maybe incorrectly) that the access point would either need at least four Ether I/O 24 modules·attached to it via Cat 5 to give me 96 ports, or a bunch of daisy chainable (USB) serial modules. As far as I can determine, the serial modules will need a microcontroller to identify their unique serial numbers; then the bit-on, bit-off status would become easily determinable for each module. Since the USB serial modules are cheaper than the Ether I/O 24, I thought I would go the microcontroller route for added flexibility. (Plus, I would learn a lot more, which is very important to me.)

However, you are right, the robot with an onboard access point and four Ether I/O 24 modules would do the trick. If you have any comments, I am more than eager to read them.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2006-07-11 13:24
    sharpie--

Many, MANY thanks!

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • sharpiesharpie Posts: 150
    edited 2006-07-11 18:04
    No problem, they also make an embedded 10/100 ethernet device.. I love their products, and they are reasonably cheap..
    Good luck with the project!