Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PropStick Board — Parallax Forums

PropStick Board

NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
edited 2006-05-19 19:06 in Propeller 1
I am trying to·make a board to hold the PropStick.· Are there any pins, such as the Tx/Rx or SCA/SCL lines that should be hardwired pullup or pulldown.· I'm planning jumpers for P0-P7 so they can be pulled HIGH or LOW.

Thanks

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Sid Weaver
Do you have a Stamp Tester yet?
http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html

·

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-05-18 15:55
    Sid,

·· The PropSTICK is really designed for breadboarding.· And it's a great solution for that.· If you really want to create your own PCB you should just use the DIP version of the Propeller chip and mount it directly into your board.· This way you're in control of and know what's doing what.· Everything is pretty straight forward on the PropSTICK but it in and of itself is a PCB encapsulation of the Propeller Chip.· I guess I can't see mounting it on another custom PCB.· If I were to do that I would simply accomodate the DIP Propeller directly.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-05-18 16:42
    IMHO Chris is absolutely correct.
    Please consider keeping the PropSTICK intact for what it was intended as it will become more and more useful as more code and applications evolve.

Like many, I have made my own board to save a bit of money.
    The main drawback is that you have to either build another programing interface or use a USB2SER.
    It certainly isn't as compact as the PropSTICK either [noparse][[/noparse]at least 3 times larger] and has some shortcomings.

The PropSTICK already has 4.7K ohm pullups on the I2C bus that are intended for having more I2C chips use the bus.
    And the Tx and Rx are intended to be used as a regular RS-232 port; not merely a programing port.

My board needs more modification for the RS-232 to be useful for other than programing as I couldn't get the MAX3232 chips.
    So I hope you begin to see that the real beauty of the design is that no additional board is required.

If you want to build some more, start from scratch.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 5/18/2006 4:57:27 PM GMT
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2006-05-18 21:01
    I used some perfboard, breadboards, 40 dip socket and female headers to break it out, because it is so hard to install in a breadboard, I will post a pic of it later.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Who says you have to have knowledge to use it?

I've killed a fly with my bare mind.
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2006-05-18 21:58
    Thanks for all the replies.

It was not my intent to alter the architecture of the PropStick.· I just want a socket on a board that I could plug it into.· That way I could have the I/O pins coming to headers or screw terminals.· I also wanted to add a pullup/pulldown option on Pins P0-P7.· Unfortunately I could only do that for Pins P0-P3 since I can only make single-sided boards on my little SuperMill.

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Do you have a Stamp Tester yet?
    http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html

·
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2006-05-19 03:45
    as promised, attached is a pic of my board,

it has the 40 dip socket, female headers in the rows next to the socket so that the label on the propstick works as it should, and breadboards all around

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Who says you have to have knowledge to use it?

I've killed a fly with my bare mind.
    1074 x 772 - 122K
    edited 2006-05-19 15:36
    Sid,

·· Even if you cannot make a double-sided board, you could make a single-sided board which has a 40-pin socket, 3.3V regulator and your pullups.· It could also hold the EEPROM and header for programming it using a USB2SER.· In any event if done carefully this could be done on a single sided board with few or no jumpers.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-05-19 15:43
    Chris, by header, do you mean the DB9 connector which I would interface to my PC using my USB to Serial adapter?

Sid
    edited 2006-05-19 16:10
    Sid,

·· I was actually referring to a 4-pin header like the SX-Key plugs into that you would instead plug the USB2SER into, but I suppose you could implement the Serial Interface on that board as well.· Or you could use the PropSTICK.· The choice is yours.· =)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-05-19 16:24
    My USB2Ser has a USB connector on one end and a male DB9 on hte other end, so my board would have to have a DBp connector.· I would like to make something like the PropStick but I can not find a schematic.

Sid
    edited 2006-05-19 16:55
    Chirs, I found the schematic of the PropStick.· Can I purchase the 5mHz crystal, the MAX3232 and the 24LC256 from Parallax?· This will be an interesting project.

Sid
    edited 2006-05-19 16:59
    Newzed said...
    My USB2Ser has a USB connector on one end and a male DB9 on hte other end, so my board would have to have a DBp connector.· I would like to make something like the PropStick but I can not find a schematic.

Sid,

·· I think you are thinking of the USB to Serial Adapter we carry.· The tool I refer to is linked below.· This was how we originally programmed the Propeller Chips.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28024

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-05-19 19:06
    I already have most of the board laid out like the PropStick.· If I had a real PropStick, wouldn't I use the USB to Serial adapter I have to connect the PropStick DB9 to my PC?· The FTDI driver for programming my Stamps via USB is already installed.· Couldn't I use the same FTDI driver?

Sid