Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
boe-bot vs. cba — Parallax Forums

boe-bot vs. cba

SuperwormsSuperworms Posts: 118
edited 2006-04-14 16:13 in Robotics
what is better. the boe-bot or the cba.for those who are woundering that is the cba, go to www.budgetbot.com·jumpin.gif

Post Edited (superworms) : 3/22/2006 12:30:28 AM GMT

Comments

• Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2006-03-22 00:50
    Pretty simple answer...

from a cost perspective, it looks like a good deal.

from a value perspecive, you need to factor in post-purchase support, which Parallax can not be surpassed.

If you are just starting out, having the the post-purchase support can be worth more than anything, so for a beginner, I would go with Parallax.
  • SuperwormsSuperworms Posts: 118
    edited 2006-03-22 01:12
    i could like some more feadback pleas condering that we have andy onlinejumpin.gif
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2006-03-22 01:39
    I heard Radio Shack was getting out of the Bot business and having a great sale... BoE-Bots for $100 while they last. Better hurry [noparse]:)[/noparse] Otherwise I'd say the CBA was a decent deal. I got my BoE-Bot at Radio Shack around Christmas of 2004, on sale for $149.95, free shipping and no sales tax, and a $75 rebate on top of that!

- Rick
  • manxstampmanxstamp Posts: 57
    edited 2006-04-09 23:01
    I have ordered two CBA robot kits, one to be fitted with their line follower kit and one with the wheel encoder. They are prepared to ship, quite economically to the UK, so any European list members who fancy a challenge should visit their site http://www.budgetbot.com/

Note, however, that the CBA robot kit·is quite different to the BOE-BOT kit. The CBA robot is a kit of PCB, components·and parts to build a robot with soldering. The Stamp itself·(either a BS2e or a BS2sx) is built from the OEM chips on the board. The finished robot is similar to the BOE-Bot with a breadboard area and an AppMod compatible connector.

As I like a construction/soldering project, I was attracted to this cost-effective addition to the Stamp robot range. It will complement my BOE-Bots, StampBug2, Predko (Evil Genius) robot board and Sumovore with BS2 Brainboard. Apart from the now unfortunately obsolete hexapod StampBug (see my other post), these are essentially similar differential drive wheeled bots. I have yet to move on the Advanced Robotics with the walking Toddler. Stamp stuff is pretty pricey in the UK with mark-ups by importers and hefty import duty on internet purchases from the US·(How I envy those living·in the US, with such a range of suppliers and robot meetings!!)

I should be interested in hearing of the types and range of robots that others have tried. Any (wealthy)·owners of expanded Hexcrawlers?

John

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Manxstamp,
    Isle of Man, British Isles
  • SciTech02SciTech02 Posts: 154
    edited 2006-04-10 04:01
    That's just creepy, they look identical to the Boe bot (in a way).· The bread board, and just the whole design of it.···

It's interesting, check out there weel encoders, only $22.00.··· -SciTech02.

Post Edited (SciTech02) : 4/10/2006 4:06:26 AM GMT
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-04-10 08:25
    Parallax really got the BOE-bot chassis right.

Think 'open arcitecture' and how are you going to add on any dream that comes to mind.

I have a very sophisticated competitor's bot with servos, IR, and more.·
    But, it has never allowed me to easily add ANYTHING to it.

Therein is a big part of the value.

I have been wondering lately if I should find a Tool and Die maker and produce a larger and heavier version of the BOEbot chassis that can use available Gearhead motors, bigger wheels and heavier payload.

The concept is nearly impossible to improve on in any other way.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • manxstampmanxstamp Posts: 57
    edited 2006-04-11 21:51
    Arrick Robotics 'ARobot' is a bigger Stamp controlled robot that can take a heavy payload and has lots of room for extras, such as those available from Parallax,·to be fitted. However it uses a tricycle drive with a powered single front wheel and two steering wheels rather than the Boe-Bot differential drive system. ARobot is complemented by a useful teaching resource about it·in the 'Robot Building for Dummies' book.

I have ordered one, with the the parts kit that goes with the book, so I will report my experience with·ARobot·at a later date.

These other robots that use the BS2 and other·Parallax Basic Stamps as controllers complement the Boe-Bot and Parallax's own teaching resources. To use any of the other robots properly it is still useful, often essential, to have undertaken the 'Robotics with the Boe-Bot' course.

I agree that the Boe-Bot design is a very good solid design that allows a great deal of add-on modules to be used (I have several)·but I think that these other robots have their own virtues as platforms for experimentation and development and each robot offers its own challenges for Stamp enthusiasts.

John

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Manxstamp,
    Isle of Man, British Isles
  • rscconradrscconrad Posts: 6
    edited 2006-04-14 00:04
    I like my Boe-bot but also like hte looks of the repositionable line following sensors.· Can anybody htink of a reason they would not work on my boe bot?
  • Robert25Robert25 Posts: 53
    edited 2006-04-14 16:13
    I started with the ARobot from Arrick. I have added many parallax extras such as the Ping and servo for scanning, Emic for TTS, speaker, amp, and most recently the Cowlacious audio servo driver that runs the "jaw" in sync with the Emic. etc. It is a good platform and does give you room to expand. As it grew, naturally I made changes in the original bot from Arrick, such as removing the whiskers (freeing up some stamp pins) when the Ping got installed. The ARobot comes with very good documentation and Arrick has their own web site for projects and posts. I am now, however, running out of available space on the platform. Arrick recently came out with a "second level" extension platform that can be added to the original, giving two levels. I am wonder now weather this would be the best option or just start a new platform from scratch.

Short of it is, the Arrick Arobot is a good platform to start and carry out a lot of experimentation and expansion.