Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Will the servos Parallax sells work from a pulse directly from the Propeller? — Parallax Forums

Will the servos Parallax sells work from a pulse directly from the Propeller?

CJCJ Posts: 470
edited 2006-04-26 02:34 in Propeller 1
or will a buffer/shifter be necessary to get it to 5v?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Who says you have to have knowledge to use it?

I've killed a fly with my bare mind.

Comments

• edited 2006-03-16 02:22
    No buffer needed. 3.3 V pulses work just fine...
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2006-03-16 02:34
    cool!

just trembling at the robotics possibilities, servo controller object using global position variables!

position can be updated in mere microseconds after reading sensor data<--- this could be very interesting, maybe a biped that can catch itself if tipping/tripping

it is too much for my brain to take

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Who says you have to have knowledge to use it?

I've killed a fly with my bare mind.
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-03-16 16:29
    Andy has some neat ideas (that I'm shamelessly *borrowing*) for doing servo control on a Propeller chip -- the idea is to launch a "virtual servo controller" into another cog and let it handle the details. Andy's version lets you write to a memory location (an array of position values) and the vsc code grabs those values and takes care of the rest. That's what's fun about the Propeller: you can have two (or more) cogs that know about the same memory location that lets them communicate with no effort past the initialization step where on cog passes the shared memory address to the other cog.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,545
    edited 2006-03-16 17:54
    Here is a taste of Propeller Assembly, that I put together as a learning curve. There are probably many ways to improve the code, however as
    it is, it can drive up to 32-servo's from the Propeller.

One, problem is that if you run ALL 32 servo's, you don't have any I/O's left for sending data back into the Propeller to update
    servo positions unless you are running from a pre-defined algorithm internal to the Propeller. So an external multiplexing scheme
    of some kind or limiting your total servo count to 31 could be used.

attachment.php?attachmentid=40868

Servo_Demo - Propeller Spin code
    CON
        _clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x                           
        _xinfreq = 4_000_000                                'Note Clock Speed for your setup!!

PanServo = 0                                        'Select DEMO servo to pan

VAR

OBJ
      SERVO : "Servo32"

PUB Servo32_DEMO | temp

repeat temp from 0 to 31                            'Preset ALL servo's to center position
               SERVO.Set(temp,1500)

'Note: Servo pins that will be used must be preset before running "SERVO.Start".
        '      This is because the I/O direction is set here and is only executed
        '      at the beginning of "SERVO.Start".  Servo pins that aren't used will remain
        '      in their original direction state.

SERVO.Start                                         'Start Servo handler

repeat                                              'Pan selected DEMO servo back-n-forth
         repeat temp from 1000 to 2000
          waitcnt (cnt+125_000)
          SERVO.Set(PanServo,temp)
         repeat temp from 2000 to 1000
          waitcnt (cnt+125_000)
          SERVO.Set(PanServo,temp)

Servo32 - Propeller Assembly code
    CON 
        _1uS = 1_000_000 /        1                                                 'Divisor for 1 uS

ZonePeriod = 5_000                                                          '5mS (1/4th of typical servo period of 20mS)
        NoGlitchWindow = 2_500                                                      '2.5mS Glitch prevention window (set value larger than maximum servo width of 2mS)

VAR
            long          ZoneClocks
            long          NoGlitch
            long          ServoPinDirection
            long          ServoData[noparse][[/noparse]31]                                             '0-31 Servo Pulse Width information

PUB Start
        ZoneClocks := (clkfreq / _1uS * ZonePeriod)                                 'calculate # of clocks per ZonePeriod
        NoGlitch   := $FFFF_FFFF-(clkfreq / _1uS * NoGlitchWindow)                  'calculate # of clocks for GlitchFree servos. Problem occurs when 'cnt' value rollover is less than the servo's pulse width.
        cognew(@ServoStart,@ZoneClocks)                                             

PUB Set(Pin, Width)                                                             'Set Servo value
          Width := 1000 #> Width <# 2000                                            'limit Width value between 1000uS and 2000uS
            Pin :=    0 #>   Pin <# 31                                              'limit Pin value between 0 and 31
          ServoData[noparse][[/noparse]Pin] := (clkfreq / _1uS * Width) #> 381                         'calculate # of clocks for a specific Pulse Width
          dira[noparse][[/noparse]Pin] := 1                                                            'set selected servo pin as an OUTPUT
          ServoPinDirection := dira                                                 'Read I/O state of ALL pins

DAT

'*********************
    '* Assembly language *
    '*********************
                            org
    '------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ServoStart              mov     Index,                  par                     'Set Index Pointer
                            rdlong  _ZoneClocks,            Index                   'Get ZoneClock value
                            add     Index,                  #4                      'Increment Index to next Pointer
                            rdlong  _NoGlitch,              Index                   'Get NoGlitch value
                            add     Index,                  #4                      'Increment Index to next Pointer
                            rdlong  _ServoPinDirection,     Index                   'Get I/O pin directions
                            add     Index,                  #32                     'Increment Index to END of Zone1 Pointer
                            mov     Zone1Index,             Index                   'Set Index Pointer for Zone1
                            add     Index,                  #32                     'Increment Index to END of Zone2 Pointer
                            mov     Zone2Index,             Index                   'Set Index Pointer for Zone2
                            add     Index,                  #32                     'Increment Index to END of Zone3 Pointer
                            mov     Zone3Index,             Index                   'Set Index Pointer for Zone3
                            add     Index,                  #32                     'Increment Index to END of Zone4 Pointer
                            mov     Zone4Index,             Index                   'Set Index Pointer for Zone4
                            mov     dira,                   _ServoPinDirection      'Set I/O directions
    '------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Zone1                   mov     ZoneIndex,              Zone1Index              'Set Index Pointer for Zone1
                            mov     ZoneShift,              #0
                            call    #ZoneCore
    Zone2                   mov     ZoneIndex,              Zone2Index              'Set Index Pointer for Zone2
                            mov     ZoneShift,              #8
                            call    #ZoneCore
    Zone3                   mov     ZoneIndex,              Zone3Index              'Set Index Pointer for Zone3
                            mov     ZoneShift,              #16
                            call    #ZoneCore
    Zone4                   mov     ZoneIndex,              Zone4Index              'Set Index Pointer for Zone4
                            mov     ZoneShift,              #24
                            call    #ZoneCore
                            jmp     #Zone1
    ZoneCore                mov     SyncPoint,              cnt                     'Create a Sync Point with the system counter
                            mov     temp,                   _NoGlitch               'Test to make sure 'cnt' value won't rollover within Servo's pulse width
                            sub     temp,                   cnt                  wc 'Subtract NoGlitch from cnt ; write result in C flag
                  if_C      jmp     #ZoneCore                                       'If C flag is set get a new Sync Point, otherwise we are ok.
            ZoneLoop        mov     ServoByte,              #0                      'Clear ServoByte
                            mov     LoopCounter,            #8                      'Set LoopCounter
                            mov     Index,                  ZoneIndex               'Set Index Pointer for proper Zone
            ServoLoop       rdlong  ServoWidth,             Index                   'Get Servo Data
                            add     ServoWidth,             SyncPoint               'Determine system counter location where pulse should end
                            sub     ServoWidth,             cnt                  wc 'subtract system counter from ServoWidth ; write result in C flag
                            rcl     ServoByte,              #1                      'Rotate "C Flag" right into ServoByte
                            sub     Index,                  #4                      'Decrement Index pointer to next address
                            djnz    LoopCounter,            #ServoLoop              'Decrement LoopCounter; Jump to ServoLoop if not "0"
                            xor     ServoByte,              #$FF                    'Invert ServoByte variable
                            shl     ServoByte,              ZoneShift               'Shift data to proper port or Zone location.
                            mov     outa,                   ServoByte               'Send ServoByte to Zone Port
                            mov     temp,                   _ZoneClocks             'Move _ZoneClocks into temp
                            add     temp,                   SyncPoint               'Add SyncPoint to _ZoneClocks
                            sub     temp,                   cnt                  wc 'Determine if cnt has exceeded width of _ZoneClocks ; write result in C flag
                  if_NC     jmp     #ZoneLoop                                       'if the "C Flag" is not set stay in the current Zone
    ZoneCore_RET            ret
    temp                    res     1
    Index                   res     1
    ZoneShift               res     1
    ZoneIndex               res     1
    Zone1Index              res     1
    Zone2Index              res     1
    Zone3Index              res     1
    Zone4Index              res     1
    SyncPoint               res     1
    ServoWidth              res     1
    ServoByte               res     1
    LoopCounter             res     1
    _ZoneClocks             res     1
    _NoGlitch               res     1
    _ServoPinDirection      res     1

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Beau Schwabe (Parallax)) : 3/16/2006 6:37:21 PM GMT
    673 x 451 - 126K
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2006-03-16 19:19
    WOW... Sweet...
    I can see an object of type Servo... [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Question, how could you multiplex the servo inputs (propeller outputs) ?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Just tossing my two bits worth into the bit bucket

KK
    ·
  • edited 2006-03-16 19:24
    The servo object Jon mentioned is from some our preliminary educational material.· It's a
    .spin object that that drives up to 14 servos.· While it's not the optimal assembly language
    object from Beau (above), it will fit nicely into classes where assembly language is neither a
    prerequisite, nor a course goal.·

Fully commented code is attached and condensed code screen captures are below.· Please
    keep in mind that this is a work in progress.· The final version you see in a text will likely
    have more flexibility and features.·

As Jon mentioned, the object gets servo pulse durations from the·program that declared it.
    Here is an example of a top level object that sends 2.5 ms pulses to 14 servos.· All this
    program does is store 1000 in each of the 14 servo array elements.· As soon as the Servos
    object's .start method is called, the Servos object starts looking at the contents of each
    of the array elements in this top file every 20 ms.

If a servo array element contains a 0, the Servos object delivers 1.5 ms pulses.· You can
    add or subtract from the variable to increase or decrease the pulse by a certain number of
    microseconds.· In this program, all the servo[noparse][[/noparse]i] elements store 1000, so all fourteen servos
    are getting 2.5 ms pulses every 20 ms.

attachment.php?attachmentid=40870

Here is another example of a program that sweeps the pulse durations of two servos back
    and forth between 0.5 ms to 2.5 ms while holding a third at center.

Again, keep in mind, as soon as the value of an element in the servo array is updated, the
    pulse the Servos object delivers will be updated during the next pulse.

attachment.php?attachmentid=40872

Here is the Servos object that the previous two programs use.··It's running in its own cog, and this is
    the magic command that looks into its parent object's array variables.

· long[noparse][[/noparse]address][noparse][[/noparse]pin + 1 - sPin]

If you look back at the previous two example programs, you will see that they pass the address of their
    servo arrays with a command like this:

s.start(start pin, end pin, @array address)

attachment.php?attachmentid=40871

Post Edited (Andy Lindsay (Parallax)) : 3/16/2006 7:51:20 PM GMT
    edited 2006-03-16 19:37
    Kaos Kidd
    You said...

WOW... Sweet...
    I can see an object of type Servo... [noparse]:)[/noparse]

As Andy mentions, "this is a work in progress". There will most likely be a Servo object.

You said...

Question, how could you multiplex the servo inputs (propeller outputs) ?

Now I can't give away all my secrets.... smilewinkgrin.gif ...No, but I have an idea for
    something that uses a couple of transistors to form a latched output, while "toying" with
    the threshold differences between the Propeller (1.65V) and the P-N junction threshold
    of a transistor (.6V to .7V).... <--"idea in progress"

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-03-16 19:43
    I'm working on a version of Andy's program (also in Spin) that will control 16 servos, and does behave a bit more like a hardware servo controller in that you send it a command to change a servo change position:

vsc.setpos(0, 1500)

where vsc is the declared object, and setpos is a method that takes a channel and position value in microseconds. In my version you don't have to delcare local variables for the servos, though you do pass an array (stored in a DAT table) of default positions for the start and reset methods. I'm also working on a method that enable you to control the servo speed from one position to the next -- like the "ramp" feature in the PSC.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    edited 2006-03-16 19:48
    Andy: That is AWESOME!
    Readable and understandable... Aside from syntax, I understood what you were doing through. I even picked out that the routine is clock speed indipendent (sp), I think.
    Beau, when you get the "Servo Multiplexer" to work, it's gonna be a big time helper to many...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

KK
    ·
  • Russ MillerRuss Miller Posts: 25
    edited 2006-03-16 20:16
    >You said...
    >Question, how could you multiplex the servo inputs (propeller outputs) ?

A shift register tranferring a single high bit from servo to servo at the appropriate time is pretty
    simple and cheap. In terms of i/o it costs one pin to feed the data to n shift registers and one clock
    pin per shift register, so 32 servos would need five i/o if the registers are 8 bits long like conventional
    R/C decoders, but they could be longer without decreasing the refresh rate since no sync time is required.
    edited 2006-03-17 16:35
    Russ:
    I actually understood what you were saying, as I'm getting a good 'crash' course in electronics from a lot of people here. This is a good thing.
    I know it's old hat for most of you, but I just relized that a spin or asm routine in a cog could output a very accurate clock pulse on a pin, very easily. A 'Clock Output' type object.
    While lots of folks, like Tracy Allen and the likes are light years infront of me, I'm sure with some logic one could build a rather robust Clock object.
    Heck, if it's done right, it could be as accurate and good as a RTC chip... I think....
    Is anyone working on a object like this?

I just relized another thing: I post a heck of a lot of 'I Thinks' and not a lot of 'I Knows'....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

KK
    ·
    edited 2006-04-05 21:19
    Can you delcare multi instances of an object?
    Lets say for example I need 28 servos, can I delcare Jon's object (that maxes out at 14 servos) twice?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

KK
    ·
    edited 2006-04-05 21:27
    Indeed you can.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
  • Brian RileyBrian Riley Posts: 626
    edited 2006-04-05 22:09
    Beau Schwabe (Parallax) said...
    What this does, is ensure that at any given moment in time only 8 servos are recieving a pulse

Now how much current does each servo draw when being pulsed. We have been told 50 ma max per pin, but no total (as with the BS2 which is 20 per pin, 40 ma total per 8 pins, etc) has been given. Can we infer anything from 8x50 here? or is it just a convenient grouping not directly related.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    cheers ... brian riley, n1bq, underhill center, vermont
    edited 2006-04-05 22:32
    Brian,

The reference is to the current draw on the total system, not on the individual I/O's.
    Through a 4.7K resistor the maximum I/O current required for 32 servos is only 22mA.

Suppose each servo required 200mA under a load ... 200mA x 32 = 6.4 Amps

A 6.4 Amp surge can easily cause enough of a·spike on the entire system to cause problems.

Reducing the possibility to 8 servo's limits the amount of surge current to 1.6 Amps.·
    Still a fair amount of current, but·somewhat easier to deal with than 6.4 Amps.

·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Beau Schwabe (Parallax)) : 4/5/2006 10:36:53 PM GMT
    edited 2006-04-05 22:38
    Brian: The servo will draw only a small amount from the Propeller or Basic Stamp thru it's signal line. The motor in the servo draws it's
    power from the red (Futaba) wire in the connector rather than the signal pin so it doesn't affect the microcontroller directly. However, a
    standard servo can draw about 1 amp peak when it has a lage error signal (difference between commanded and actual position) which
    can cause the the supply voltage to droop. Pulsing the servos sequentially minimizes the peak current and reduces the chances of
    causing the microcontroller to reset.

Russ
  • Brian RileyBrian Riley Posts: 626
    edited 2006-04-05 22:50
    Beau Schwabe (Parallax) said...
    Brian,

The reference is to the current draw on the total system, not on the individual I/O's.

Through a 4.7K resistor the maximum I/O current required for 32 servos is only 22mA.

Suppose each servo required 200mA under a load ... 200mA x 32 = 6.4 Amps

A 6.4 Amp surge can easily cause enough of a spike on the entire system to cause problems.

Reducing the possibility to 8 servo's limits the amount of surge current to 1.6 Amps.

Still a fair amount of current, but somewhat easier to deal with than 6.4 Amps.

Understood. The rule thumb has always been to have the servo's driven from a separate power supply than the processor, but even then being able to space the peaks out to 1.6 amps per period rather the cyclical spikes of 6.4 amps will make for a much happier power supply.

I guess that brings me back to my orginal curiosity. We have yet to get a figure beyond 50 ma per pin, is there a overal chip or per 8 pin groupp limit a well or is just 8x50ma ... I guess i just don't have a real feel for the drains of the more common loads. With a BS2 we are usually looking at series protective resistors of 220 or 330 ohms, seires current limiting resistors for LEDs of 220 p to 1K, and 1K or 2K with 2N2222 or 2N3904 keying/switching transistors. they all draw very little, I would imagine few people ever actually seriously push the limit, except accidently. So when I saw the propeller with 50 ma per pin I was surprised and it makes me wonder what the limit on the chip or pin group is.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    cheers ... brian riley, n1bq, underhill center, vermont
    edited 2006-04-06 02:39
    Thanks... I had posted the question before I read your article in N&V, where you declare terminal as an array...
    But it all makes sense, and there will only be 1 copy of the code operating at a time, right?
    I still need to find a "good" way to multiplex the servos... I might end up getting the servo controller for this project...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

KK
    ·
    edited 2006-04-06 04:57
    Kaos Kidd,
    You said...

I still need to find a "good" way to multiplex the servos... I might end up getting the servo controller for this project...

The circuit below doesn't "multiplex the servos" but it does take advantage of the voltage threshold differences between
    the Propeller (1.65V) and a standard transistor (approx .6V). With a little bit of hand-shaking from the device trying to
    pass data into the Propeller this method does work.

Note: A complementary transistor version of this circuit might be better suited for data transfer with servo's, since the
    majority of the signal time is spent in the logic LOW position. (This is still under test)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    1005 x 637 - 244K
    edited 2006-04-06 05:41
    Hi Beau,

Since you're going to use parts, how about this (which I did not design) with something clamp CLK to 3.3V, and maybe a different C1 -
    I think this has the same function as the old NE5045 r/c decoder chip. 8-10 servos on one pin. 300 servo controller anyone?devil.gif
    image028.jpg
    more info homepages.tesco.net/ada.tippett/Radio6.htm

edit: On second thought, 300 might be tough since you would have to service a minimum of 4 4017 counters/cog and the pulse end times on diferent counters could overlap.

Post Edited (Russ Miller) : 4/6/2006 5:47:41 AM GMT
    edited 2006-04-06 14:54
    Russ,

The 4017 is simply a decade counter/divider, and would work, but I wanted to keep the component count down to a minimum. Something that needs to be considered with
    the above option is that the Clock pulse will vary it's period from 1mS to 2mS corresponding to the servos value. As a result you will need to subtract 20mS from the sum
    of all 8 servo values and apply the result as a final delay to maintain the 20mS servo "OFF-time" that the servos require before you start the sequence all over again.
    10 servos per 4017 would be the absolute maximum limit, but you also need to figure in the processor overhead required to retrieve the servo value and clock the pin correctly.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-04-06 18:11
    Ok. I think I'v missed the boat.· Wouldn't something like the attached pic work?· And it's only using 1/2 of the counter, in theory it could do 32 servos, depending on the max speed of the 4067 chip.· On my bad, the selection of the counter didn't inclued a carry signal, so I would change that as well.· The 4067 is nothing more then a 1 of 16 decoder with bi-lateral switches inside.· Granted the 4067 is bi-directional, but in this configuration it's being used as output only.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

KK

Post Edited (Kaos Kidd) : 4/6/2006 6:19:03 PM GMT
    edited 2006-04-06 18:46
    Kaos Kidd,

With ANY type of polling scheme where you do one servo, then the next, the next, and so on. You are going to be limited to a MAXIMUM of 10 servos.

The reason is because each servo expects an update pulse every 15 to 25 mS (20mS is the standard). Since each servo has a maximum position pulse
    of 2mS, then 10 servos x 2mS per servo equals 20mS. This assumes you can fit any signal processing overhead within the pulses.
    Even though the 4067B can multiplex 16 individual channels, the time frame required at each channel will not agree with what the servo wants.

The way that my example program does it for 8 servos within a 5mS window is by setting ALL 8 servo pins high, and then individually dropping them low
    after the specified amount of time (1-2mS) has elapsed for each channel. Doing this, all of the servos complete their pulse within 2mS, and there is 3mS
    to spare for signal processing before the next group of 8 servos are activated. Do this 4 times at 5mS a piece, and the servos get their 20mS requirement.

Now, saying that... what you could do is use 4·octal buffer·IC's to direct 8 of the servo I/O pins to the 32 servo's.· In addition you would need 2 I/O lines
    to select which octal buffer of the 4 is selected at a time.· So a total of 10 I/O's for 32 servo's.· With this, the current program would even get smaller
    because you would not need to deal with Zones other than setting 2 I/O's to correspond to the correct external octal buffer (Zone)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Beau Schwabe (Parallax)) : 4/6/2006 6:59:07 PM GMT
    edited 2006-04-06 19:54
    Thanks Beau; I didn't know (or understand) the math behind it.
    I understand how your example program works now, much better, the math was simply running away from me.
    Ok, I like your example better, now that I actually understand (no fault of anyones but myself) how and why it works.
    I'm going to see what else I can find on this...
    Thanks again Beau.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

KK
    ·
    edited 2006-04-06 20:55
    Om Beau, I think this is what you explaining to me.
    Add a few decupling caps, and it should be good to go.
    Thanks again!
    Fred

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

KK
    675 x 808 - 161K
    edited 2006-04-06 22:35
    Kaos Kidd,

Yeah, that is something like what I was describing, but you might need to put a pull down resistor on each output to the servo.

I was trying to look for a latched output version to eliminate the pull-down resistors, and a 74xx573 or 74xx373 would work,
    but I couldn't find a 2-4 decoder that was active HIGH.

Sacrifice 2 more pins and you wouldn't need the decoder, just use 4 octal buffers.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-04-07 02:27
    I had to make the chip functions in Digital Works (I've lost my lib directory on the laptop...), so the chips I got there I did in the designer today (proved the logic). I know there's 2-4 active HIGH counter out there, I remember seeing it. I hunt one down and see what I can get. I believe I'v already modled the 373 or 573, but I'll have to go nuts and find them.
    It would keep the part count down, and this is something I should be able to make without worrying too much about the lack of expierence in pcb creation. I'll add to the schmatic above for the finalized version of the board, and go from there.
    And Beau, again, I can't express my thanks. I will make this work... One way or another!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

KK
    ·
    edited 2006-04-07 18:05
    Ok, I think I've got it... [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    I'm not sure as to why the difference between the '573 and the 541 makes it so I don't need the pull-down. (could you explain this ?)
    Also, I assume we need to hook the latch in to the circuit as well, there for needing 1 additional pin. (Unless you have a better idea...)
    Total pin count: 13 ( 8 for servos, 4 for zone select, 1 for latch)
    Max servos: 32
    Total device count: 4 * 74XXX573
    Make the object so the lines can be passed in chuncks (ie servo lines, crlt, select lines) then
    Then you could make two instances of the servo object, sharing the ctrl + select lines, adding 8 more lines (for the second servo set), sync the select lines,
    and you get 64 servos for the total cost of 21 lines... Not bad... Not bad at all.
    Did I finally get it?

...EDITED.... I forgot to attach the image!!! ...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

KK

Post Edited (Kaos Kidd) : 4/7/2006 6:08:22 PM GMT
    675 x 422 - 60K
    edited 2006-04-07 18:44
    Kaos Kidd,

The 541 is just a gated octal buffer, when it is not selected the outputs float...· servo's would not like this feature.

The 573 is a·latched octal buffer.

What you should do is enable (OE) the outputs to all four buffers by tying them to ground, and use the Latch enable (LE)
    for your control signal to each buffer.· Your schematic looks like it is using the output enable to control the buffer, you only
    need to control the·latch enable.

From the PDF:
    These 8 bit D-Type latches are controlled by a latch ·enable input (LE) and a output enable input (OE).
    While the LE input is held at a high level, the Q·outputs will follow the data input precisely(573) or ·inversely(563).
    When the LE is taken low, the Q outputs·will be latched precisely(573) or inversely(563) at the logic level of D input data.
    While the OE input is at low level, the eight outputs will be in a normal logic state (high or low logic level) and while high level
    the outpts will be in a high impedance state.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-04-07 18:49
    Beau...
    Got ya. I'll fix that on the drawing and I'll be good to go...
    Next time I'll read ALL the pdf, not just the parts I like... [noparse]:)[/noparse]

And thanks again.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

KK
    ·