Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Video Generator — Parallax Forums

Video Generator

Agent CobaltAgent Cobalt Posts: 88
edited 2006-02-24 00:00 in Propeller 1
I was looking at the block diagram for the propeller and noticed that each cog has a video generator. I was just wondering how the interaction would be with that and what special purpose it would serve with the written code. Does it have built in drawing functions that are readily available? Just a simple explanation of it would be fine. Thank you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Truth can be dangerous... Trust can be deadly.

Comments

• Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2006-02-23 15:33
    Nearly NOTHING is built in. There will be a video driver libraries available, but the Parallax gang thought the one peice of hardware that would be help would be to pump out the signal at the correct speed for video. Since each cog is identical, there are 8, so each could be sending to a video device.

Also, there are VGA drivers, Keyboard, and Mouse - all without external/Intenal HW - Just Propeller ASM drivers/Object libraries.

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel

Disclaimer: ANY Propeller statements made by me are subject to my inaccurate understanding of my limited time with it!
    Southern Illinois University Carbondale -Electronic Systems Technologies
    Personal Links with plenty of BASIC Stamp info
    and SelmaWare Solutions - StampPlot - Graphical Data Acquisition and Control
  • Agent CobaltAgent Cobalt Posts: 88
    edited 2006-02-23 16:06
    Ok. Thanks for that bit of info! With all this video support, it shouldn't be hard to put the chip into a simple gaming system.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Agent Cobalt) : 2/23/2006 4:11:53 PM GMT
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-02-23 16:18
    Or a little bit more advanced one...

Like the Hydra from thegang who made the X-gamestation....

It looks like it will be the first commerciably available multi-core game system on the market...
    It win't have the Blu-Ray support of the PS3, but at least it will show up...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
    edited 2006-02-23 16:21
    Yeah. I wish I could look at the X-Gamestation website, but it seems like it's been down for a week. They did a good job with the X-Gamestation and I can't wait to see what the Hydra will be like. I already have a group of about 5-6 other students who I'm friends with that are willing to help make some games. burger.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-02-23 16:25
    As an aside, the propeller wasn't designed with a gaming system in mind, after Andre and his crew got ahold of the chip and worked thier programming magic on it, the designers of propeller were actually suprised what could be done with the chip using special (and advanced) programming methods.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-02-23 20:12
    Agent Cobalt said...
    Yeah. I wish I could look at the X-Gamestation website, but it seems like it's been down for a week.

Which URL did you try?

The http://www.xgamestation.com site is up and running...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
    edited 2006-02-23 21:06
    I've been trying that url for the past 5 days in both IE and Mozilla and it won't connect. sad.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-02-23 21:17
    Agent Cobalt -

It worked for me just now, so I'd suspect a possible DNS problem at your end. Try the actual IP address: http://205.158.110.70 as sometimes that will get by the problem.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
    edited 2006-02-23 23:24
    Turns out it was my college's network system. Web sites aren't blocked, but there are some sites that you can't view through our network so I have to use a proxy to view their site.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-02-23 23:45
    Back on to the video stuff...I was wondering if there would be any specific calls/functions for drawing to the TV.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2006-02-23 23:53
    Already are. Line, circle, etc. Part of the demo they have. That image that was circulated on some websites showing the Propeller and the little 2.5" LCD TV shows some capabilities.

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel

Disclaimer: ANY Propeller statements made by me are subject to my inaccurate understanding of my limited time with it!
    Southern Illinois University Carbondale -Electronic Systems Technologies
    Personal Links with plenty of BASIC Stamp info
    and SelmaWare Solutions - StampPlot - Graphical Data Acquisition and Control
    edited 2006-02-24 00:00
    Cool. That will make my idea for the chip much easier to do. Now all I have to do is survive from the anticipation till the release date. burger.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔