Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
tank tread problem — Parallax Forums

tank tread problem

Alexander DumasAlexander Dumas Posts: 9
edited 2006-01-03 15:58 in Robotics
Hi.. we just got the tank tread kit.· Unfortunately when we run the boe-bot the tread doesn't roll-over the servo/gear in a smooth fashion.. The gear teeth occasionally lose their traction on the tread... We have experimented in several ways including adding an additional roller. We now have 3 small rollers, 1 large roller in the front, and the main gear on the servo...

Any ideas in how to stop this problem of slipping gears...?

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-01-01 06:00
    Hello,

·· There is only one configuration and combination of gears you should be using.· Anything else won't work.· Perhaps you could take a picture of what you're using and post it, or one of us could post a picture of what you should be using.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2006-01-02 16:27
    Please don't be insulted, but are you sure that the tread is installed correct side out (that is, not inside out)?
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2006-01-03 00:57
    I have put several of these tank tread kits together and one issue is that if you stretch the tread pieces in any way shape or form, it will cause it to become loose and not function properly.· Please contact me at dandreae@parallax.com and I will see what I can do.

Regards,

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
  • Alexander DumasAlexander Dumas Posts: 9
    edited 2006-01-03 00:58
    Thank you for your responses... No I'm not insulted...· Actually, I am very perplexed about how to solve the problem.· The gear is having problems when it comes in contact with any of the seams.· I've turned the treads around so that the most flexible part of the seam flows over the gear. However, there is enough inflexibility with the joint that it occasionally rises too high and the gear slips. When I push down on the tread in front of the gear, the traction is better, but this forces the overall speed to decrease...

One obvious thought is why are there so many small treads. Even just 2 pieces would be better. The 3 small pieces chained together add up to a lot of seams.

Does this make sense?

I can't think of any way to improve the situation.·
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-01-03 15:58
    It may be a little hard to see since I don't have a larger picture handy, but here's the last one I built.· I believe you can clearly see which gears go where.· And I have had no problems with seams.· Watching the treads spin you can't see them lift any when they go over a gear.· I hope this helps you some.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    200 x 150 - 9K