Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Adapting 2mm pitch device to .1 spacing — Parallax Forums

Adapting 2mm pitch device to .1 spacing

gibbmangibbman Posts: 98
edited 2006-02-12 21:41 in General Discussion
I have some RF devices from Maxstream for use in some ZigBee·prototyping. Unfortunately, they are an odd-ball
form factor, i.e 2mm (Euro?) between pins, 22mm between rows, 10 pins each row. I was wondering if anyone has a line on 2mm-to-2.54mm adapters, or 2mm headers to get at the signals? I have found some protoboards with 2mm spacing, but it would be nice to be able to adapt to .1. Hate to have to send out for some custom PCB adapters to get started with these things...
Thanks,
Jim

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-01-02 23:26
    I haven't seen any "adapters", but DigiKey has lots of 2mm connectors that you might rig your own up with.

http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T061/0071.pdf

[noparse][[/noparse] This starts on their catalog's page 71, access further pages by modifying the Address in the toolbar with 0072.pdf, 0073.pdf, and so on ]
  • kjennejohnkjennejohn Posts: 171
    edited 2006-01-03 06:32
    Try this:
    www.beldynsys.com/singledual.htm

or
    www.epboard.com/eproducts/protoadapter.htm

or
    www.emulation.com/

None of these are real easy to search, but a quick call might find you what you want.

or you try slicing up the pads on standard P-Board (prototyping board with drilled square pads every tenth inch) to achieve the result. I had a friend with very steady hands and a really sharp Xacto knife who could wittle down these pads to match most any pitch down to .05". Calls for a fine soldering tip too.

'Luck!
    kenjj
  • gibbmangibbman Posts: 98
    edited 2006-01-03 11:44
    PJ, kenjj...
    Thanks for the input and links. It will definitely take a call to one of the sites mentioned, as I can't seem to even describe to their search engines what I need. I guess there is always the "dead bug" method, but these little fellas have a chip antenna on their back, so maybe "suspended dead bug" for some clearance...also, at 2.4ghz, they are probably a little fussy about their orientations. Oh well, that's why they call it experimenting and prototyping.
    Thanks again,
    Jim
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-01-03 17:55
    Jim, take a look at the incorporated picture, the top part is the mechanical drawing of the zigbee module you are using? The bottom part is a matching socket for the part, I can probably whip up an adapter board for you tonight and provide the gerber files to you which you can send off to sparkfun's pcb service (www.batchpcb.com) for $10 + $2.50/sqin. I may be able to keep it under 1sqin, but it will be definitely under 2sqin. So the max cost for the board will be $15.00, plus the cost of the socket and 0.1" headers. I don't think there are existing conversion boards for this specific configuration since most adapter boards are surface mount -> through hole·(though I could be wrong). Also please specify if there are any parts mounted on the underside of the module and whether they protrude beyond the plastic retainer for the module's headers (this will affect whether the 0.1" headers can be placed inside the 2mm header or must be placed outside).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10

Post Edited (Paul Baker) : 1/3/2006 5:59:58 PM GMT
    986 x 707 - 110K
    edited 2006-01-03 21:51
    Paul,
    That would be very kind, as is your offer. This would be a great help. If you can bring the twenty pins out to some .1 pads, and a width/length that works on .1 centers, I would happily get them made. I take it that I would install the 2mm header and install the module in this, and then I could mount header pins on the .1 parts, so that in the end it would also fit into a standard protoboard? No external things stuck out from the module; quite self-contained. Will have to add some external components on the protoboard, but that is a simple matter once I have the adapter. If it works, could several of the adapters fit on one of sparkfun's standard PCB sizes, such that I can either break apart (or saw) them apart? I will send a message via PM to continue this....
    Thanks!
    Jim
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-01-04 01:17
    Here it is, it should come in under 1 sqin, let me know if you have any problems submitting it, it should be prepackaed for submittal. The jpg is a screen capture of the board for your own benefit (only the zip is submitted). The white lines are the board dimensions, but this isn't incorporated in the zip, so the vertical yellow lines (silk screen) provide the board cutoff point for the fab house.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10
  • Clay EClay E Posts: 2
    edited 2006-02-12 20:16
    I am new to this forum. I found this thread by searching on
    zigbee. I am trying to figure out how to use the MaxStream Zigbee moules with a BS2 and I can't even find enough info that I understand to get started. I am currently using a bluetooth module for aone application. What I want to so is connect a PIR sensor to the MaxStream zigbee and have it communicate with a BS2. Can anyone please help? Also, please let me know if I should move this to a new thread, I an new to this and not sure of the proper etique.

Thanks,

Clay
    edited 2006-02-12 21:41
    Hi Clay,
    Welcome to the Forum. Bit of a newcomer myself. As far as moving the·thread, maybe just another title will do, so that more people might understand what you're attempting. At any rate, that's a call for the Moderator.

Now to the Zigbee project·you envision. Zigbee is just another protocol wedded to a radio method. The benefits, still to be proven in my mind, are low power requirements, some interference immunity, and the built-in networking available from the protocol. It will be especially nice for me if the major suppliers·get the ad hoc·"mesh" networking running; most suppliers of chips haven't fully implemented the Zigbee specification's full armament. You will need a micro to take in your sensor data and·pass it to the MaxStream·unit. I'm just getting the bugs out of taking time and temp and·transferring them amongst several nodes. Very early days for me.·Basically, you need one micro (or a PC) on both ends of the link to transfer and get at the data you are trying to move. Or many units transferring data to a controller node. The end devices can forward data up the line in order to get it to the boss. At any rate, I will be looking forward to what you can come up with.

Jim

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    In the end, it seems that it's all about getting the LEDs to blink....