Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Whats the maximum distance the boe-bots IR pair can communicate at.? (pointing — Parallax Forums

Whats the maximum distance the boe-bots IR pair can communicate at.? (pointing

Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
edited 2005-08-09 23:44 in Robotics
Has anyone found this out?

How about in sunlight?

Comments

• Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2005-08-03 00:48
    I guess I must test to see.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to test them to see their max distance? (circuits, and programs)
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-08-03 15:12
    I would use the "FREQOUT IR_Pin, 1, 38500" to send a 1 mSec pulse.

Then recieve it with another BOE with IR-decoder, and measure the pulse width.

Then move them further and further apart until the pulse width started to drop.

I would assume it would be 10 to 20 feet. It should be possible to up the power on the IR-LED sending the data, or even send to two IR-LED's at the same time, to increase the distance.
    edited 2005-08-03 21:59
    Hmm, i only have a single BS2....
    edited 2005-08-04 13:21
    OK, then aim it at a mirror. Use the SSIR sensor to send AND recieve the echo.

FREQOUT IR_Pin, 1, 38500
    PULSIN IR_Dec_Pin, ...

An IR-Decoder will 'hold' the signal for a little while after the IR-LED stops sending, which gives you a chance to read the signal with PULSIN. Look up the SSIR sensor on the Parallax website, they have a neat lab.

Note the SSIR is intended for an IR 'whisker'. In that use, it's range can be 'detuned' by the frequency you use with the IR-LED so you get an inch to a few inches in range, off of most surfaces.

I'm sure a mirror will get you better range, however, and will be a more realistic example of two BOE-BOTS trying to talk to each other.
    edited 2005-08-09 02:33
    I measured the distance to be about 4 meters. With the ir transmitter and ir detector pointed at eachother. I added a second transmitter led and there was no increase of distance. The transmitter led alone, had a 330ohm resistor on it with a 38.5khz pulse from the stamp. I would imagine this would make it its brightest without doing damage. Like other leds.

I need to transmit an infared laser like beam at least 20feet.
    Anyone have any suggestions?
    Infared laser? Are they cheap? Are they safe?
    I am trying to detect when the beam is broken.
  • Tricky NekroTricky Nekro Posts: 218
    edited 2005-08-09 06:35
    I used the common Sony led·(for remote controls)·emmiter, and i could mesure distance up to 60cm without pointing eachother... Considering they point each other the distance could exited the 1m!!!smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Rule your Destiny-
    --Be Good. Be Bad. Be Provas--
    edited 2005-08-09 16:40
    You might be able to "overdrive" the LED. The 11 mA you've got now [noparse][[/noparse](5 volts - 1.4 volts)/330 == 10.9 mA] would do for continuous use. But you're putting out a modulated signal, then leaving the pin LOW (off) when not in use. You could probably put 25 mA through the LED in those cases -- but you do run the risk of burning out the LED if you inadvertently turn it on continuously.

I'm sure there are "laser diodes" of some description that might help -- but I know nothing about them at this point.
    edited 2005-08-09 23:44
    i'll give the overdrive a try. If im lucky it will let me just reach my distance. If im not it will burn out in too short of a time for this method to be practical.

Thanks.