Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
rev dx bs1 question — Parallax Forums

rev dx bs1 question

markmcleod50markmcleod50 Posts: 27
edited 2004-11-11 04:09 in BASIC Stamp
i just got the rev dx bs1 with the usb serial adapter but am having trouble making a simple led light up. On my other bs2p40 i would connect the cathode end to vss and the anode to a resistor that would then go to a p0 or output pin....could then program high 0 and the led would turn on

On the rev dx there does not appear to be any connection, from the 9 volt to the vss pin, but anyhow i attach the cathode to vss, resistor to the anode, and the other end of the resitor to a p0...using 470 resistor...yes it works in bs2p40. My code is

' {$Stamp BS1}
' {PBASIC 2.5}

HIGH 0

nothing happens. any ideas? thanks

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2004-11-10 06:04
    Mark,

First, are you actually able to program the BS1 using this configuration:

USB port <=> USB to Serial FTDI Adapter <=> BS1 Windows Adapter <=> BASIC Stamp Rev Dx?

This isn't something we have tested and I would be surprised if it works. According to your message you seem to be programming, but the LED is not on. Is the long-leg of the LED connected to the I/O pin? Perhaps the Stamp is not actually programming.

How about making a FOR--NEXT loop and DEBUG a counter variable with a TOGGLE command to verify that there is PC-Rev Dx communication? I wonder if the Stamp is not actually getting programmed due to the assortment of hardware you are using to program it..

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc .
  • CPUMANCPUMAN Posts: 55
    edited 2004-11-10 06:07
    It's worth a note that PBasic 2.0 and 2.5 is only for the Basic Stamp 2 series.· The BS1 only supports PBasic 1.0.· You are just using a wrong directive, otherwise your code seems sound for setting the pin high.
    What you want to do is this...

' {$STAMP BS1}
    ' {$PBASIC 1.0}

HIGH 0

Give that a shot and see if that works.

Chris
  • markmcleod50markmcleod50 Posts: 27
    edited 2004-11-10 17:33
    ken...not exactly sure what a windows adapter is...i have my serial cable running from the pc, that connected to the serial 3 pin/usb adapter, and that connected to the rev dx...i have the led connected correctly, but on the bs2p40 the vss slots/holes have printed connections..i assume to the battery or to the voltage regulator...there don't appear to be any printed connections from the vss pins on the rev dx. I will try using pbasic 1.0 instead of 2. thanks mark
  • edited 2004-11-10 18:57

Mark,
    ·The Bs1 to serial adapter can be found here http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27111 and the schematic for it can be found in the help file for the stamp editor version 2.1. If you are using the FTDI adapter that Parallax carries it will allow you to program the BS1/rev dx through it. It sounds like you are using the USB2SER http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28024 if that is the case then it will not work. You will need to purchase the http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=800-00030 or the http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/USA19HS/. To program the stamps through the USB port.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Stephen Swanson

Technical Support
    Parallax, Inc.
    sswanson@parallax.com

Post Edited (sswanson) : 11/11/2004 4:42:59 PM GMT
    edited 2004-11-10 19:09
    i have the bs1 to serial adapter...when i loaded the program control r...it appeared to be downloading it to the bs1, but then nothing happened...i will set it up again tonight and take a dig pic to post
    edited 2004-11-11 02:40
    I am at home and am playing with the rev dx and still cannot get an led to turn on...i know it works because it works fine in the bs2p40 demo board. Heres my setup...long end of led (anode) to vss, short end of led, cathode to 470 res, other side of res to p2. I have tried various versions of code and debug with the debug window, debug worked fine...here are the codes i have tried.

' {$STAMP BS1}
    ' {$PBASIC 1.0}

HIGH 2

also tried

OUTPUT 2
    PIN2 = 1

neither seemed to work...what am i doing wrong fellas?
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-11-11 04:09
    The cathode (flat slide on LED body) should be connected to Vss (ground), the anode (long wire when new) should be connected to the output pin -- with an appropriate resistor in between, of course.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office