Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Fiber optics and the Stamp — Parallax Forums

Fiber optics and the Stamp

Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,172
edited 2004-10-15 14:34 in BASIC Stamp
Hello from Buck Rogers
Has anyone gotten the BASIC Stamp, in this case a BS1 to talk to a fiber optic based communications setup? I am not writing about specific individual parts, I mean the concept behind the fiber optic technology in general.
·smilewinkgrin.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Buck Rogers

www.gregg.levine.name

Comments

• Eric REric R Posts: 225
    edited 2004-10-13 01:00
    I should think this wouldnt be a problem since there are many RS-232 to fiber converters on the market. It is as simple as a transmitter and receiver coupled with fiber. The box does all the translation for you. I am sorry that I do not recall a brand name but search for "fiber modem" and see what you get. Try ebay also.
  • Eric REric R Posts: 225
    edited 2004-10-13 01:05
    Completed ebay item 5722479326 is exactly what I was thinking.
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2004-10-13 20:42
    If it is just BS to BS communication, I would think that nothing more than a matched set of optos (emitter/led and detector) would be all that would be needed. If you want to get fancy, add a 555 and a gate to modulate the beam...

If it's more complex, the 232 to optic ready-made would probably be cheapest.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are in a maze of twisty passages...all alike...
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,172
    edited 2004-10-13 21:36
    Hello from Buck Rogers·jumpin.gif

Yout close. It will be a stamp talking to something else. I haven't decided what the "something else" would be.· Right now I am preparing to evaluate a number of ideas, currently not involving the stamp. But that is one that's close.

Incidentally that's a nice signature. Having played a lot of Adventure I recognize the reference. Mostly on a Linux system, which I've got staring at me now.

Oh and Jon, there's two million tribbles purring at you right now,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buck Rogers

www.gregg.levine.name
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2004-10-15 12:50
    Buck,
    Yeah, I played a lot of Adventure, too...but...that one is actually from Zork. <g> I'll change my sig now...just don't say it too loud·<g>

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    XYZZY
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,172
    edited 2004-10-15 14:34
    Hello from Buck Rogers
    No actually that line is indeed from Adventure. The Zork quotes are more confusing like that entire game. I know I played a lot of both. Besides, even Jack Ryan took the time to play computer games, and probably played both. Even though he wrote on an Apple , and used Wordstar.
    jumpin.gif
    And now back to our regularly scheduled arguement, ah, discussion about basic stamps.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buck Rogers

www.gregg.levine.name