Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Is this a complete kit? — Parallax Forums

Is this a complete kit?

Armored CarsArmored Cars Posts: 172
edited 2004-08-21 02:18 in BASIC Stamp
http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27291

Is this a complete kit?· Will I need to buy anything else besides solder to build it and start programming it?

Comments

• Armored CarsArmored Cars Posts: 172
    edited 2004-08-17 18:02
    Nother question-

Can I control servos with it or will I need to buy or make special circuts.
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-08-17 18:18
    That kit will let you assemble a working BASIC Stamp module. Be careful, though, if your soldering skills aren't intermediate or better you may want to buy a ready-made OEM BASIC Stamp.· To program it you'll need a wall wart power supply (6 - 9 volts), a striaight serial cable, our software (download for free), and a Windows PC.

Yes, you can control servos with this module. Download our "What's a Micrcontroller?" text to see how.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2004-08-20 06:48
    If you plan to solder, a lot of beginners do not know how to clean the board after soldering.

Usually there is a lot of rosin flux left over and. . .
    while the board works, it is not a pretty as wave soldered.

It you want really pretty boards, buy them already wave soldered.

I use rubbing alcohol and an old toothbrush. The alcohol does not mess with the fiberglass circuit board (acetone disolves fiberglass, benzene is a carcinogen, and so is toluene). Mineral spirits may work too, but more smelly.

While acetone and alcohol are reasonably safe, the others can hurt your liver and cause liver cancer if you are really messy and don't wash after using. (House painters get liver problems from paint thinner, so do running shoe assemblers from neoprene glue solvents).· Don't use the bad stuff around infants and small animals.

Be careful and test your solvent before hand as I have removed printed labling from components that tolerate the alcohol, but the lable printing (subminiture relays) does not. Usually ICs, resistors and capacitors are no problem.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    G. Herzog in Taiwan
  • ionion Posts: 101
    edited 2004-08-20 09:29
    You can buy flux remover which is safe .See link below for manufacturer
    http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/fluxrem.html

413B Heavy Duty Flux Remover

Conductive, flammable,extra strength, may harm some plastics, fast evaporating, ozone safe, low cost.

4140 Flux Remover for PC Boards
    Conductive, flammable, safe on plastics, moderate dry time, medium toxicity, low cost.

4141 HFE Super Flux Remover
    Excellent cleaning strength, fast Dry, zero residue, non-flammable, non-conductive, non-corrosive, environmentally friendly, test on plastics.

or, you can use solder which has a flux solubil on water , see link below
    http://www.kester.com/en-us/products/prodcat_results.aspx?ind=-1&pt=4&chem=19&lf=q

product is
    Kester "331" Organic Flux is a water soluble formula for use in flux-cored solder wire. This cored solder version of the popular #2331 Neutral Organi

OR-421
    Kester “OR421” is a high activity, water soluble, cored wire flux which has been developed as a replacement for Kester “A” flux.

Search Google or your electronic store for place to buy them or call the manufacturer and ask who is the distributor in your area

I am doing soldering from the last 20 years and i can still type with two hands [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Good luck
    Ion
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2004-08-20 10:28
    Greetings!

Unless you have a very good reason for using this kit, I would recommend buying a normal BS2 as it's too darn easy to ruin components when soldering.
    (I wouldn't use an OEM kit unless the stcok version didn't fit physically)
    The only thing this kit offers that the stock version doesn't is a D9 connector for the programming cable.

The BS2 is only $4 more, and may even be available in an electronics store closer to you.

Just my opinion.
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-08-20 13:47
    I agree with the Gadgetman -- we seem to get more support calls/requests from OEM kit builders than from any other BASIC Stamp module. If you're not experienced at soldering, you should probably stick with one of our prebuilt modules.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • gremlingremlin Posts: 6
    edited 2004-08-20 16:07
    ·Yes it is a complete kit and you can control servos with it. I built two of them. Nice kit. I also built a "robot" which was simply a project box on which used hotglue and mounting tape to secure batteries , servos and a bread board. Not pretty but effective. I also programmed it to send my callsign in morse via a LM386 (8 pin dip) audio amp to an on board speaker.yeah.gif
    edited 2004-08-20 17:54
    I have experience soldering wires and plugs, though my experience with electronics is limited. What causes the OEM kit to become damaged so easily?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2004-08-20 18:53
    It's not that the·OEM kits become damaged more easily, so much as the inexperienced users who may have cold solder joints, or mount parts in backward, etc.· For the few dollars difference it's better for those inexperienced to work with the prefabricated modules.· That's all...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Knight Designs
    324 West Main Street
    P.O. Box 97
    Montour Falls, NY 14865
    (607) 535-6777

Business Page:·· http://www.knightdesigns.com
    Personal Page:··· http://www.lightlink.com/dream/chris
    ·
  • jakjrjakjr Posts: 88
    edited 2004-08-20 19:03
    As long as you think you can take the time to follow the instructions properly, I dont think you should have any problems (as long as you do already have some better soldering skills).

Unless you're wanting to build it for·specific reason (other than saving·a few·dollars) you might as well just save your self some time (possibly money as well) and just get the preassembled version.

·
    edited 2004-08-21 02:18
    The only problem is I ordered the OEM kit after the second post here...

Ill do some practice on some old components and see where Im at, its been awhile and if Im not doing that well Ill send it back or somthing.