Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
IDE cannot communicate with Edge Module — Parallax Forums

IDE cannot communicate with Edge Module

I recently received the Propeller 2 Developer Starter Bundle and tried to get it to work with the P2 IDE on a new install of Win 8.1 on a newly built desktop computer with ASUS B550 motherboard and Ryzen 5 CPU. The computer and Prop Plug are talking to each other, as indicated by the blinking status lights, but I get an error message stating that there is no Propeller connected to port 3. Port 3 is the only port found in the scan. Am I doing something stupid (a distinct possibility of course), do I have a bad prop plug, a bad P2 Edge Module Breadboard, or a bad P2 Edge Module? The P56 and P57 white LEDs on the P2 Edge Module stay lit. I have older Rev B prop plugs - are they compatible with the newer stuff?

I dug out an old Propeller Professional Development Board and installed the old Propeller IDE on the computer. They work together just fine!

Jerry

Comments

• Check the DIP switches on the Edge. Some settings prevent serial boot. I forget what the correct setting is, look at the manual for guidance.

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,898

I recently had a problem where the COM# was too big for FlexProp IDE to use, think was 39 or so...
    Had to change it with device manager to something like com10.

edited 2023-05-30 18:32

Old prop plugs should work, I think.

But, you do need to supply +5V Power via barrel connector in order for P2 to work, are you doing that?

The Eval board can supply power via USB cable, but this setup with PropPlug doesn't provide power...

• The 5 volt power supply that was part of the "Propeller 2 Developer Starter Bundle" is connected. The P56 and P57 leds on the "P2 Edge Module" are on a

• Problem appears to be solved. Boot selection switches were indeed set wrong. Thanks for the help.

edited 2023-05-30 23:25

Hmm... That should just work then... Maybe Edge board is plugged in backwards?
    Also, there are 4 or 5 P2 IDE's these days. Do you mean Prop Tool?

So boot selection switches can make identification fail?

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,192

Yes, there is EEPROM and SD forced boot modes. Those will never perform any comport actions.

• My module are EDGE P2-EC Rev B and don´t have any comunication with the IDE Propeller Tool Version 2.9.3.
    I have various and all posibilities the combination switch but dont receive response by the module .
    Only have response when the comunication are direct to Parallax Serial Terminal a trough via keyboard.

• @P_FAVOT said:
    My module are EDGE P2-EC Rev B and don´t have any comunication with the IDE Propeller Tool Version 2.9.3.
    I have various and all posibilities the combination switch but dont receive response by the module .
    Only have response when the comunication are direct to Parallax Serial Terminal a trough via keyboard.

Close the terminal. In PropTool click Edit->Preferences->Operation (Tab)->Edit Ports (Button)->Restore Defaults (Button)

Most likely that will fix your problem. Same happened to me.

• I have restored the default values, the problem persists.
    With propeller 1 it works correctly.

This may be obvious... But, sometimes I can't get the PropTool to load or identify and it's because the Parallax Serial Terminal is open and has control of the com port.

Just in case, close all other terminal programs and try Prop Tool by itself...

• Parallax Serial Terminal is closed.

• I have also tried on another PC with another version of IDE (2.7.0 beta) and I can't communicate either.

Another issue I sometimes have is the com port # being too high.
    I forget which tool has what limit, but sometimes I have to go in to device manager and force it to be a low number, like #10 or something...

• @P_FAVOT Do you have power applied to the Edge?

• yes.

• I was trying with FlexProp and it did not find P2. I have also tried with an adapted arduino tip, it did not find P2 either.
    but when I apply the command "Enter P2 ROM TAQOZ" it executes it correctly and P2 responds.

• @P_FAVOT no SD card? What are your dip switches set to?

• currently they are positioned Led on, Flash on, off, off.
    I have tried all the possibilities without being able to detect P2.

• Now I am adding an extra 4.7uf ceramic cap to the 5V 0.5A regulator, will that be enough?

• Are you using a propplug or generic?

• I think I once got around a problem where flexprop (actually loadp2) could not upload programs with the default settings and tried the following change within the Configure Commands... menu option... I added '-SINGLE".

"%D/bin/loadp2" -k %P -b%r "%B" "-9%b" -t -SINGLE

dgately

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,278
    edited 2023-06-16 08:05

Maybe post a photo of your module whilst connected to your computer and powered on ?

Also, double check that the module is inserted the right way around?

And check the Prop Plug is inserted the right way up.

Regardless of the revision of Prop Plug you are using, always follow the pin markings on both the Prop Plug and Edge Breakout Programming Header to ensure they match. That will ensure you have the correct Prop Plug orientation. ie. Make sure GND on the Prop Plug goes to GND on the Breakout Board Header.

@P_FAVOT

@P_FAVOT said:

Are you saying that your P2 is talking directly to Parallax Serial Terminal? This is by typing a ">" and then "ESC" or something at reboot? Like this:
    Terminal monitor invocable via "> " (greater than followed by a space) and then CTRL+D
    TAQOZ Forth invocable via "> " (greater than followed by a space) and then ESC

If so, that would mean the P2 is working at least...

• if indeed P2 works and I can communicate from PST or through the Flexprop terminal.
    But neither Propeller Tool nor Flexprop can detect P2.

• From what I was reading in the forum, the problem should be in the position of the EDGE switches. but now I can't solve it.

Ok, if it's talking with PST, then I think the switches may be in a good position (but who knows?).

I guess I'd try PNUT: https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/171196/pnut-spin2-latest-version-v39-parameterization-bug-fixed-no-more-automatic-file-spewing/p1

Also, try the new Spin Tools IDE: https://www.maccasoft.com/spin-tools-ide/

PNUT is usually pretty rock solid, so I'd try that first...

Also, in FlexProp, under "Special" there are things like "Enter P2 ROM TAQOZ".
    Be interesting to know if that works...