Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
IDE cannot communicate with Edge Module - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

IDE cannot communicate with Edge Module

2»

Comments

• if it works in Flexprop "Special Enter P2 ROM TAQOZ".

• You can only have one program talking to the serial port at a time. If you have two programs (like FlexProp and PST, or PST and PropTool, or any other terminal program + any IDE) then the results are very unpredictable and often the second program started will be unable to find the P2.

• RaymanRayman Posts: 14,212
    edited 2023-06-16 20:50

@P_FAVOT In that terminal mode you found to work, the P2 ROM code has an auto baud detect feature.
    So, it should work at any baud, up to 1 M or so...
    I see 9600 baud in your screenshot.

Can you see if it works at 115200 baud?
    I think that is the kind of baud typically used with P2, or maybe 230400.

I'm wondering if higher baud rates are broken for some reason...

edited 2023-06-16 21:24

Also, I think I'm seeing a custom board in your screenshot. I'd guess there's something wrong there.
    A million ways to get something wrong...

My guess would be that you didn't implement the reset circuit that it needs...
    The Prop Plug has a reset output from DTR signal that needs to go to NPN transistor through a cap as shown attached.

Without that, none of the tools will be able to load the P2.

Update: Never mind. Forgot that circuit is included in Prop Plug...

453 x 327 - 3K
  • Si tengo claro los posibles conflictos entre PST etc.
    tambien he probado distintas velocidades de comunicacion, siempre con exito para comunicarme con TAQOZ.
    con respecro a la velocidad de comunicacion con Flexprop probe con 115600 y 230400 y no detecto al P2. con Propeller Tool solo la estandar.

• If I am clear about the possible conflicts between PST etc.
    I have also tried different communication speeds, always with success to communicate with TAQOZ.
    With respect to the communication speed with Flexprop I tried with 115600 and 230400 and did not detect the P2. with Propeller Tool only the standard one.
    With the parallax programmer that transistor is included.
    when I try with the Arduino programmer if I add said transistor.
    Also check the pulse and levels of the Reset with an oscilloscope.
    then when I communicate through TAQOZ configure pin 56 blink then I try with F7 of the Propeller Tool to locate P2 the reset reaches P2 and stops blinking pin 56

I think you are right, that transistor is part of the Prop Plug...

• I have also reviewed the parallax board schematics and the P2 data sheet, where it recommended a 10k pull up resistor that should also be added, the EDGE has the reset connected to the PG of the IC reg 1.8 V, therefore the reset line had only 2.4V and I assumed that this was the problem, but after reading I verified that this potential was normal.

• I am going to go with a problem on the reset line between the propplug and the Edge connector.

• Dear friends, thank you very much for the accompaniment that I have received from you but luckily today he is communicating without any inconvenience, the only thing that I regret is that I cannot inform you what happened.
    Thank you so much.

@P_FAVOT Congratulations!

@ke4pjw That's my guess too.

I guess the built in ROM monitor mode is useful for making sure the P2 is working in case there is something wrong with the reset circuit.
    Actually, also useful if you purposely disconnect the reset circuit.

• I wonder whether the DTR/reset signal is making it all the way to the P2. If you go into monitor, like the above photo, then click the DTR checkbox twice in PST, does it reset the P2 (you'd have to check for echo coming back)

• Perfect, with double click on DTR box, the P2 restarts

@Tubular Good point. We should have tried that sooner...

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,543

@P_FAVOT said:
    Perfect, with double click on DTR box, the P2 restarts

Need to try that again next time it plays up.