Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
AI is “Colossus” going to take over — Parallax Forums

AI is “Colossus” going to take over

Concerns over “AI” remind me of the 70’s movie Colossus.

Comments

• Nope. All we need to do is pull the plug.

Robots aren't taking over, either.

Craig

• frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,975
    edited 2023-04-18 08:15

@Mickster said:
    Nope. All we need to do is pull the plug.

Robots aren't taking over, either.

Craig

Google is watching.

Careful, they may remove your "plug" first...

What was it that (ai?) NOMAD said?

Oh, "STERILIZE!!!"

• @"frank freedman" said:

Google is watching.

This I am convinced of. Took a break from programming and picked-up the guitar. Belted-out rough renditions of a couple of old/obscure songs that just happened to come to mind. Went back to the PC and checked YouTube and both songs were right there :o Totally gobsmacked :|

Craig

• Wuerfel_21Wuerfel_21 Posts: 4,491
    edited 2023-04-18 16:19

No, the machines will not rise up and enslave humans, but will be used in increasingly unethical ways by capitalistic entities for 20 to 30 years until the governments even begin to notice what's going on.

Some things never change.

• MaciekMaciek Posts: 668
    edited 2023-04-18 16:52

Except, they are used already that way for some time now in some not really capitalist countries. And not only there.

So, instead of being scared we should be prepared (well, easier said than done for sure).

• Will AI exist and perform without data, consistent data?
    Will those feeding that data be the only ones affected?
    What would happen if a corrupted data stream was devised wide spread to influence AI algorithms into unwanted decisions; whether good or bad?

• JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,926
    edited 2023-08-16 19:51

This I am convinced of. Took a break from programming and picked-up the guitar. Belted-out rough renditions of a couple of old/obscure songs that just happened to come to mind. Went back to the PC and checked YouTube and both songs were right there :o Totally gobsmacked :|

A couple years ago a friend called my Android phone. I told my friend I was on my way to a 2nd-hand shop where I'd seen a really sweet Telecaster that I was thinking about buying. When I got home, every general web page that hosted Google ads featured Fender and specifically Telecaster ads.

• Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,161
    edited 2023-08-17 13:56

@JonnyMac said:

A couple years ago a friend called my Android phone. I told my friend I was on my way to a 2nd-hand shop where I'd seen a really sweet Telecaster that I was thinking about buying. When I got home, every general web page that hosted Google ads featured Fender and specifically Telecaster ads.

Jon that was just normal and annoying Google ad mechanism working. The fact that it had ears into your phone is in fact a violation of how they do things.

Mascots asleep.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,187

Don't think both "normal" and "violation" can be attributed to the same action. Ads worked fine without any tracking. They don't need it.

Best solution is ditch the smartphone completely. And you probably want to disable the mic and camera on any laptops too.

• 1960: "The government plan to put listening devices in our homes" :o

2023: "Hey Alexa, is it OK to feed pancakes to my cat?" :s

Craig

• @Mickster said:
    1960: "The government plan to put listening devices in our homes" :o

2023: "Hey Alexa, is it OK to feed pancakes to my cat?" :s

Craig

Clever. But my cats enjoy both coffee and tea. Including the two helping me write this response.

Mascots finish tea then complement.

• JonnyMac,

My friend Bob said the same thing about his phone listening to his conversations and then giving him links and ads for things he talked about.

I don't like people texting me links because I clicked on one for YouTube and then I kept getting notifications for over a month.

• Most uncomfortable is when you discuss topics with a partner (within audio reach of their phone, not yours), and then find related recommendations popping up on your own phone. Somehow the algorithms are linking people by device too. Ultimate Spam!