Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Problem Programming with SD plugged in. — Parallax Forums

Problem Programming with SD plugged in.

PropTool does not program at all with SD inserted (can't find P2)

FlexProp needs a Power Cycle of Board & SD.

solutions?

Mike

Comments

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,170

Delete the boot file off the SD card.

• no bootfile on sd, fresh formatted, just some textfiles for webserver

PropTool, does not find P2 with SD inserted, FlexProp needs PowerCyle of JonnyMac

Mike

Okay, only other thing is a something dragging P59 low forces an SD only boot when a card is inserted.

• hmm - Flash on, both other switches OFF so serial and flash booting.

Why does it care about the sd?

works fine on eval, fails with edge.

Mike

edited 2023-03-26 04:56

I meant something other than those dip switches. Check its voltage. Maybe put a pull-up on there to help out.

• This is an issue with the Edge. I have suggested that the next iteration of Edge power cycle the SD card with reset.

Use RAM (F10) until you are ready to save to flash. Unplug and reinsert the SD card then program the FLASH (F11). That was my workaround.

Really? Doesn't affect the Eval Boards?

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,275
    edited 2023-03-28 07:42

@evanh said:
    Really? Doesn't affect the Eval Boards?

I was thinking the same....Now a dusty memory, but I thought they used the same circuit.
    hmm.. almost... the EVAL will reset memory when RESET button pressed. Although shouldn't reset from a programming reset, so that would suggest the functionality would be the same as Edge.

One thing the EVAL does have though... the footprints to enable SD card power reset from IO P57. The schematic has the instructions.

• Ah, I see EVAL also powercycles Flash & SD when you hold the reset button a moment.

• We really need this on the Edge.

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069

I believe one problem is a timing issue.

IIRC, FlexProp handles it just fine. Pnut never worked, so probably PropTool doesn’t work either.

If there is an SD card present, then the booter will initialise the SD card. This takes varying times depending on the SD card used (brand, size, speed/class). It can be up to a second, but often IIRC around 300ms.
    Next the booter checks to see if the SD card is formatted to FAT16 or FAT32, and byte or sector addressing. If it’s not formatted, the booter checks for code in the boot or volume sectors. If these are not found then it immediately passes control back to the serial section which will look for a valid download sequence.
    If FAT16/32 is valid, then the directory is searched for the boot file name. If it’s not found in the first ??? entries then control then immediately passes control back to the serial section which will look for a valid download sequence.

The problem is that by the time the booter determines that the SD card does not contain valid boot code, pnut and PropTool have given up trying the serial download sequence and timed out.

• @Cluso99 is back, cool.

Can I download CPM for P2 somewhere?

Mike