Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Running Propeller Tool under wine in Linux — Parallax Forums

Running Propeller Tool under wine in Linux

Has anyone been running Propeller tool under wine and if so how did you configure the serial ports?
Jim

Comments

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,187
    sudo usermod -a -G dialout [your-username]

Log out then back in.

• @evanh said:
    Log out then back in.

If you want to quickly test changing what groups you're in without logging out and back in again, you can run sudo -u $USER -i (switch to root, switch back to your user, run an interactive shell) to run a shell in a new session. Of course, the new groups will only be effective from within that shell - you'll still have to log out and back in again to make it work everywhere.

• My problem is I can bring up regedit for wine and I have successfully set the software to "com1->/dev/ttyUSB0 but I can't seem to get regedit to save the hardware settings. Any idea where the wheels fell off?

Don't do that. Comports are automatically generated. An entry will appear in [prefix]/dosdevices/ as com33+ and it looks like maybe a duplicate at com5+ as well.

• @evanh ,
    Currently, the recognized port for com1 is ttyUSB33, which is not being recognized as an existing port. I was trying to modify an ADC program written by Chip to display 8 channels of ADC out to a video port. I did not want to wire up the hardware to display the output in a video format nor do I have a conveniently available a video monitor to display the output. I was planing on changing out the display portion of the program to something like fullduplex serial +, and observe the behavior of the ADC isr routine on my terminal. I may just have to rewrite the ADC isr as an object that can be run in its own cog, I just was not ready to do that just yet.
    Jim

/dev/ttyUSB33 doesn't sound normal at all. Normally it would be ttyUSB0 for the first port, then ttyUSB1 for the second one, and so on.

• I don't know enough about Parallax yet to know if this will help or not. But i found that Flexprop will run native on LM 20.3. And it found my port automatically.

Carroll

• @Carroll
    Thanks for the input. I was trying to run Proptool under wine because of a limitation in flexprop.I use flexprop all of the time and it works well. At this point, I have waisted too much time trying to force Proptool to do what it was not designed to do so shall start coding the isr as a cog instead. I think I can figure enough out in what Chip is doing to make it work and I am not cog poor.
    Jim