Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
NMEA 2000 interfacing — Parallax Forums

NMEA 2000 interfacing

I woudl like to interface my prop with a depth transducer.
With old 0183 NMEA standard interfacing with a Propeller was a breeze, but now the NMEA 2000 is easier to find.
Do you have any experience with newer NMEA 2000 standard? Getting sensors with the older protocol is getting difficult..

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Massimo

Comments

• Wow, that changes a few things. Instead of serial it is now a CAN bus protocol.

You would have to write a CAN bus driver just to receive the messages and then decode the transducer messages from that.

Mike

• A few of us have written P1 drivers for the Microchip MCP2515 for CAN. I used it in a commercial HVAC project. The interface to the MCP2515 is SPI and pretty simple.

• I had luck with reading some NMEA2000 sensors.
    Fresh'Water-level. And Rudder angle.
    Engine... Oil-pressure. Oil-temperature. Water-temperature.
    NMEA-2000 is just CAN-BUS like in cars, and the data is very easy to read, but transmit is a bit more tricky as all sensors has an algoritme to tell when its safe to transmit not having two or more tx at same time on the bus.
    The most problematic issue receiving data, is that the secret in knowing how to translate the data to useable values. You have to pay money to the people that control the NMEA2000 protocol standard.

• max72max72 Posts: 1,155

Thanks for the informations.
    Manufacturers seldom appreciate the tinkerer so getting informations is always tricky.
    I would only read data from a single sensor.

Thanks again,
    Massimo