Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
MACOS - Complete (easy to understand) instructions for setting up VISUAL STUDIO CODE? Pretty Please! — Parallax Forums

MACOS - Complete (easy to understand) instructions for setting up VISUAL STUDIO CODE? Pretty Please!

DavidMDavidM Posts: 626
edited 2023-01-30 07:05 in PASM/Spin (P1)

Hi,

I am still trying to find a workable solution to create SPIN1 code for Propeller 1, on my Mac.

I have tried just about everything (many nice people here have been helping me) , but each solution has problems

1) PROPELLER TOOLS (PC Only).
Tried running in MACOS using Crossover (trial) , a bit tricky to install, tried configuring usb ports with fancy terminal commands, but I Cannot get Serial ports to work. , also it looks very blocky for the main application, but the code editing sections look fine as you can customise this. and it has indentation lines.

2) PROPELLERIDE,
It installs and runs fine, it recognizes my serial port, it compiles, but it does not upload to the propeller chip.. I did have this working fine on my older mac, maybe it's a 32bit problem, as my OS is 64bit? This application would be perfect if.. 1) The serial ports work, 2) if it had Indentation lines (like the propeller tool.

3) FLEXPROP
It was a little tricky to install (as it's not a native mac.app , has to be run from terminal). Some silly errors in compiling, which should not be their as the same code had no errors in Propeller tools, but on code without compile errors it uploads to propeller chip fine. The main problem i have is that it has no syntax formatting tools, no block colors or indentation lines, also no project file tree and silly compiling errors.

4) SPIN TOOLS.
Just discovered this one 2 days ago, thanks to Macca. It downloaded easily and just had to install Java runtime, all that was simple, it runs fine and and compiles, it detects my serial ports no problem, uploads to the propeller chip fine, But it needs some more refinements as it still is a work in progress. The main problem being the font in the editor was too small to read. I was happy that this application had the SPIN syntax /Blocks colours and most importantly it the ONLY app outside of PropellerTool that has INDENTATION LINES!! I would very much like to get this app updated soon with the main issues sorted out.

5) VISUAL STUDIO CODE.
I installed the VScode app just fine, but the rest of the installation process is a cumbersome mess. I think i got the SPIN2 extension installed, The JSON configuration file was confusing, cannot work out how to get the COMPILER installed, I cannot find clear instructions for MAC ONLY set up. The VSCode interface is nice and fast, probably has too much clutter around it. The problems, 1) Installation and setup very confusing. 2) From what i have seen ,the THEME is dark mode ( Yuk) , I was surprised there is no Propeller Tools Theme done for this, If we could get the same colours as the propeller tool and if we can get INDENTATION LINES added, then this application might be suitable. Also, I have not seen anything ( there is scattered and confusing info) regarding how to compile or upload to the propeller chip works. the other thing i don't like is the fact you have to include a json file in each of your project folders? This is silly, i expect this application to handle that kind of this automatically.

So my last attempt in getting something to work in the next few days is, if anyone has easy to follow instructions of what the VSCode does and how to install it for a mac, videos would be the best way.

thanks

Comments

• Based on your description, it seems that none of the solutions you've tried so far have fully met your needs. To summarize:

Propeller Tools (PC Only) - has issues with serial ports and a blocky interface
    PropellerIDE - recognizes serial ports but fails to upload to the propeller chip
    FlexProp - tricky to install and lacks syntax formatting tools
    Spin Tools - runs well but has font size issues
    Visual Studio Code - installation and setup process is confusing and lacks Propeller Tools theme and indentation lines

It might be helpful to reach out to the community for support on how to get Visual Studio Code set up specifically for a Mac. You could also consider trying to work with the developers of Spin Tools to see if they can address the font size issue and make further refinements to the application.

• Christof Eb.Christof Eb. Posts: 1,103
    edited 2023-01-30 10:28

@DavidM
    At least with Windows it is no problem to use FlexProp together with any Editor of our choice. I have been using notepad++, where I have syntax highlighting for Forth and for C. (I avoid SPIN2) Perhaps a way to go for you too?

As far as I understand, Visual code studio will use the same compiler as FlexProp which makes these "silly compiling errors" for you. So I fear, that you will continue to complain.
    I don't know your errors, but it is important to be aware, that FlexProp uses an optimising compiler to very fast native assembler while the original Parallax Spin2 is a bytecode interpreter, which leads to some differences. Not only in speed and code size.

• @DavidM said:

3) FLEXPROP
    It was a little tricky to install (as it's not a native mac.app , has to be run from terminal).

Not true! You can double-click on the flexprop (or flexprop.mac if that's what was built) icon to run it. In fact it's very easy to select the flexprop file icon in Finder and use the "Make Alias" option in the Find menu. When the new "flexprop alias" file is created, move it to the Applications folder, rename it to just "flexprop" and it will run like a normal macOS app!

dgately

• @dgately said:

Not true! You can double-click on the flexprop (or flexprop.mac if that's what was built) icon to run it. In fact it's very easy to select the flexprop file icon in Finder and use the "Make Alias" option in the Find menu. When the new "flexprop alias" file is created, move it to the Applications folder, rename it to just "flexprop" and it will run like a normal macOS app!

dgately

OK, let me try that out, thanks for the tip!

• @ozzy92 said:

It might be helpful to reach out to the community for support on how to get Visual Studio Code set up specifically for a Mac.

I have, that's what this thread post is about, waiting for answers!

You could also consider trying to work with the developers of Spin Tools to see if they can address the font size issue and make further refinements to the application.

I have, I am participating in the thread post https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/174436/spin-tools-ide/p1 for this app , started by Macca, we have spoken here on the forums. I just have to let him do his thing. hopefully we can get some updates soon, I am ready for MAC testing.