Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Light Switch Needed — Parallax Forums

Light Switch Needed

Can someone in Massachusetts please swing by this high school and turn their lights off? A software glitch has kept the lights on continuously since 2021. Ken, this is a golden PR opportunity for a BS-1 and a relay to save the day. https://www.newser.com/story/330525/high-school-is-unable-to-shut-its-lights-off.html

Comments

• This is nonsense that a program would be written that way that it the system has a fault that it would default to 100% on on the other hand it would have default it to completely off then you would have had a bigger issue so you can not win either way

• @sam_sam_sam said:
    This is nonsense that a program would be written that way that it the system has a fault that it would default to 100% on on the other hand it would have default it to completely off then you would have had a bigger issue so you can not win either way

A good comment. The other problem is that their supplier deliberately went with items that were not properly supported. Nevermind the fact that these intelligent switching devices need only specific vendors.

• sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2023-01-28 08:25

@"Buck Rogers" said:

@sam_sam_sam said:
    This is nonsense that a program would be written that way that it the system has a fault that it would default to 100% on on the other hand it would have default it to completely off then you would have had a bigger issue so you can not win either way

A good comment. The other problem is that their supplier deliberately went with items that were not properly supported. Nevermind the fact that these intelligent switching devices need only specific vendors.

This is ever growing problem where manufacturers are making products that require a specific specifications and when something fails trying to get it fixed is turning out to be a nightmare or you just do without the product and you just lost all the money invested in the product

• Maybe they should have gotten one of the students to set them up with HomeAssistant.

• @"frank freedman" said:
    Maybe they should have gotten one of the students to set them up with HomeAssistant.

I was forcing myself NOT to say that. (But man, I rolled with laughter when you went there! Hehehe!!!)