Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Github flush with cash — or soon might be?? — Parallax Forums

Github flush with cash — or soon might be??

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
edited 2022-11-06 19:08 in General Discussion

I always envisioned Github as a shoestring operation run by volunteers. Until today. This full-page color ad ran in today's (Sunday) New York Times:

This is the print equivalent of a TV Superbowl ad, i.e. not cheap. Does this portend a new pricing model for Github? That will have to be a hard sell!

-Phil

Comments

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,183

Eventually, yes, full commercially driven. Particularly corporate level. But M$ will be playing the long game and aiming to move their vast hordes of loyal business acolytes into the newly acquired fold first. And, for those types, the subject has to be a known friend first. This is M$ building that friend.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,183
    edited 2022-11-06 19:10

Such long term strategies clearly work, and can be what makes a company, but I do wonder how they can be objectively priced up front when being pitched to investors or, in this case, upper management.

• I did like the used paint cans next to the workstation. I have the same in my shop. :)

-Phil

• Wuerfel_21Wuerfel_21 Posts: 4,458
    edited 2022-11-06 19:11

The business model for GitHub was always this, even before M$ acquisition:
    - Make quality product
    - Give it away for free to people working on open source
    - Sell commercial version (i.e. non-public repos, on-premises hosting, extra features for large teams, etc)

The intent being that if the people who have influence over their employer's purchasing decisions know and like GitHub, they'll beg for them to subscribe to the immensely expensive commercial version.

• pik33pik33 Posts: 2,350

The problem with github now is the paranoid autenthication model. No problem on Windows, a small problem on x64 Linux but a big problem on a Raspberry.

On big machines I can simply run Github Desktop which takes care of all this bull....., but when I have a project which run here and there on a rpi which is not mine, I can't make correction and push anything without the token so I have to have the token on a pendrive... or something like this... not a good idea, not safe, not convenient.

I am moving my RPi related repositories to Gitlab, one by one, Gitlab is still usable on a raspberry.

There is also something I saw several days ago called codeberg.org To be checked.

• @pik33 said:
    The problem with github now is the paranoid autenthication model. No problem on Windows, a small problem on x64 Linux but a big problem on a Raspberry.

On big machines I can simply run Github Desktop which takes care of all this bull....., but when I have a project which run here and there on a rpi which is not mine, I can't make correction and push anything without the token so I have to have the token on a pendrive... or something like this... not a good idea, not safe, not convenient.

I am moving my RPi related repositories to Gitlab, one by one, Gitlab is still usable on a raspberry.

There is also something I saw several days ago called codeberg.org To be checked.

??? You just need a ssh key to be able to push. Make sure to clone with git link, not https