Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
WX module security? — Parallax Forums

WX module security?

On page 3 of the Parallax WX ESP8266 Wi-Fi manual, under Specifications, I found this:

• Security: WPA/WPA2

However, nowhere in the WX module's Networks and Settings pages is there a place to select a security setting or set a WPA or WPA2 password. And my cell phone shows security for this device as "NONE." What am I missing?

Thanks,
-Phil

Comments

• Bump. I was hoping someone from Parallax would see this and could fill us in on how to enable security for this device.

Thanks,
    -Phil

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,278
    edited 2022-10-12 16:00

Wpa/2 refers to client mode - ie. You can join a network with those protocols, and will be prompted to enter the password when appropriate.

So that has me wondering... Are you wanting to create an AP with your wifi module ?

Edit: Hmm.. Based on your quote above, then yes you are wating a secure AP! "And my cell phone shows security for this device as NONE."

• Looks like WPA for the softAP was never implemented :

https://github.com/parallaxinc/Parallax-ESP/issues/7

Perhaps add your vote to that GitHub issue thread?

As it stands, seems that the WPA/WPA2 is relevant for station mode, not AP mode.

In case it helps... I thought the latest version of the firmware included a setting to disable WiFi programming (from the webGUI). It that would cover what you need for now, that might be worth investigating.

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2022-10-12 17:17

Thanks for those details.

I had a thought of controlling some drama special effects via wifi from a cellphone. But without security, any audience member could do the same thing. But the other thing that stymied my ambitions along those lines was an apparent lack of WX module support for Spin, and I didn't have time to dig into the protocol guts myself. So I gave up in favor of using XBee.

-Phil