Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
A github site for forth code and documents — Parallax Forums

A github site for forth code and documents

bob_g4bbybob_g4bby Posts: 401
edited 2022-10-02 07:20 in Forth

I've put all my forth stuff on github for safer keeping.

The github site contains glossaries and code for Tachyon on the P1, Taqoz on P2, ESP32forth on the ESP32 and Punyforth on esp8266

The Tachyon and Taqoz glossary threads on this forum now link to the github site.

Comments

• ErNaErNa Posts: 1,742

Great work, thanks a lot!

• Thanks for doing that Bob!

• Thank you!

• @bob_g4bby ,

Hats off to you !

I've just read your Programmer's Guide to Mini-OOF. First class document.
    Well thought out, well structured, logical ... a pleasure to read and easy to understand.

I just want to say a HUGE THANK YOU and I'm not a fan of the OOP at all and I am yet to try the ESP32 (but postponing the moment until Peter comes up with his Tachyon version for it, if that ever happens).

Anyway, I view your forth stuff on Github as a very valuable resource to visit at least weekly.

• Glad you like it - Mini-OOF seemed to be about the best of the bunch when it came to OOP in a microcontroller. There are many much larger packages with many bells and whistles but they're more suited to Windows or Linux level Forths where there's many megabytes to spare. I like the clarity and structure it brings to building replicatable 'forth gadgets'. Quite a lot of writing to create the Classes, but much less in writing the application.

My quest was prompted when comparing Forth with programming in LabView - a commercial graphical language where 1000's of little functions as icons can be wired together to make an application. LabView is far quicker and easier to make an application than Forth - even for a hardware engineer like me. The reason is because of all those prewritten functions that can be replicated as many times as you like. The programmer is unaware of the fact that he is creating Objects from a Class in sketching out his software - but it is nevertheless mostly object oriented coding.

So - I thought - How can I mimic a little of that LabView rapid application development? Hence Mini-OOF for ESP32forth and Taqoz.