Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Micro:Bit Radio — Parallax Forums

Micro:Bit Radio

Hey guys!
Happy Labor Day or Labour Day if that's your thing. :-)

Can anyone tell me the approximate range of the radio on the Micro:Bit? I don't recall seeing that listed anywhere. I'm old and not quite as observant as I used to be. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Thanks for your wisdom.

Amanda

Comments

• YanomaniYanomani Posts: 1,524
    edited 2022-09-06 19:15

@ajward said:
    Hey guys!
    Happy Labor Day or Labour Day if that's your thing. :-)

Can anyone tell me the approximate range of the radio on the Micro:Bit? I don't recall seeing that listed anywhere. I'm old and not quite as observant as I used to be. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Thanks for your wisdom.

Amanda

Hi @ajward

I don't have any Micro:Bit boards, and far from being specialized on them, but, perusing the web I was able to find the following:

• bare radio range (~same frequency band, but not to be confused with Bluethoot):

Indoors - 20 to 30 m
    Outdoors - 70 m

Radio being radio, you need to note that environmental and geographic conditions can affect those numbers, so take them with a bit of salt.

There also seems to be some difference between Micro:Bit V1 and V2 at the RSSI level detection indication, which is available after execution of the radio receive method, but it appears to affect only the minimum detection level. I'm unsure about it, but have no means of trying to clarify it further on my own.

Hope it helps...

Henrique

https://buildmedia.readthedocs.org/media/pdf/microbit-micropython/latest/microbit-micropython.pdf

• I tested out the radio distance on a pair of V1 microbits when I got them. Just a simple program that would flash the LEDs on the face of one when a button on the other was pressed. I was able to walk several houses down the block and still get the second microbit to flash! I was pretty impressed, so whatever you have in mind should likely work in any line-of-sight application. I've also used one as a remote control for the other on a small robot.

• Thanks guys!!!

I have a couple under a monitor on my desk just tempting me to put them to work somehow. :-)

Amanda