Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Version of Edge modules at Digikey and Mouser? — Parallax Forums

Version of Edge modules at Digikey and Mouser?

Want to buy a Rev.D Edge module (my Rev. A and B seem dated now).
When I look at Digikey, the image looks like a Rev.A, but the datasheet says Rev.D.
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/parallax-inc/P2-EC/13557324

The Mouser one image actually says Rev.A:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Parallax/P2-EC?qs=T94vaHKWudRrJpXDe6UP1w==

Is there a way I can be sure it's Rev.D in reality before buying?

Comments

• I guess ask them ?

The boards are clearly marked if they need to refer to stores. The zip-lock bag labels don't show the Rev, but they can easily see it through the bag.

This is something that's been raised a few times, but it's surprising tough to get the distros to update their product line data; I suppose because they have too many lines to be updating them often. Best to ask I'd think. By now I'd expect them to be on the latest Rev, but impossible to know for sure.

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,886

Does the Parallax product # "P2-EC" tell me anything?
    Or, did they all have that product #?

• They all have that same ident- that's the stock code (SKU).

Edge module is "P2-EC"
    Edge module with 32MB ram is "P2-EC32MB"

Most Parallax accessory stock codes are 5 digits, or 5 digits and a letter. Such as 64014 for the new HD Audio accessory set that's coming out soon. Most processors have more "interesting" character-based stock codes, to try and be descriptive of the item. Such as P2-EC or even BS2-IC. In those cases EC stands for Edge Connector, whereas IC .. well, you know :)

So to answer your initial question.... "P2-EC" tells you it's a P2 based module with an Edge Connector.

Digikey (and mouser) shows "Rev. C" for the P2 Eval board in the image, so I guess they did update that at some point...
    I emailed Digikey about it, but not sure I'd trust them to tell the difference... Think I'll just order from Parallax...

Digikey said this:

Thank you for contacting Digi-Key Electronics.
    The image is for representation only. The datasheet states it is Rev D so it should be that. Also, when you order you can request that it be Rev D just to be safe in the order notes.

So I guess it’s ok…

• Awesome.

Digikey sent me Rev.C :(

At least has usd connector.
    Will be interesting datapoint for NeoYume

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,187
    edited 2022-09-05 00:31

You could ask for your money back. It's not as advertised. They did say it is a Rev D, both in the listing and confirmed by email. The Rev D supposedly has notable better thermal performance, which does have concern in your uses.

EDIT: Oops, ah, I see, the datasheet said Rev D, not the listing. I still think you've got a good case for refund/exchange based on the email.

• ...So I take it you didn't request revision D in the order notes as was asked by their customer service?

I did ask to make sure Rev.D. But, I did make a mistake and said to look for uSD connector…

Not sure that made a difference or not.

After initial dismay, now think this one is useful for seeing how much copper I might need for my boards…

If it was A or B, I would have returned it.
    Got plenty of those…

• It's actually, kind of encouraging because they sent me Rev-Bs, less than a year ago and they had a decent stock-level at that time. Must be some uptake :+1:

Craig