Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Debug application shown in latest Propeller Live Forum — Parallax Forums

Debug application shown in latest Propeller Live Forum

So I just started watching the latest installment of the Parallax Live Forum, and was blown away by that debugging application. Not being on Windows made me of course envious, so I wonder: how does this work? How is the system state transferred? Is this documented somewhere?

Comments

• pik33pik33 Posts: 2,350
    edited 2022-07-21 15:05

P2 talks to the PC via serial port at 62,63. There is "debug" pseudoinstruction which in reality inserts a brk instruction to the code. This does a software interrupt

There is 16 kB of reserved RAM at $7C000 which can be loaded with a debug code and then write protected, so if BRK happens, the code is executed from there and talks to the PC which does all these fancy debug modes.

Being in Linux and using a Flexprop we can still use debug, in much more limited way but the idea is still the same.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16qVkmA6Co5fUNKJHF6pBfGfDupuRwDtf-wyieh_fbqw/edit#heading=h.6vozniaah4rp - this Spin manual has several debug instructions described.

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133

I am releasing this today, in about an hour. It will be in PNut.exe which runs in Windows. Soon, we will have it in the Propeller Tool.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,187

Pnut runs fine on Wine. I haven't checked the debug stuff in a while, since it has never worked when using setclk(), but it worked too.

@evanh said:
    Pnut runs fine on Wine. I haven't checked the debug stuff in a while, since it has never worked when using setclk(), but it worked too.

Are you saying that the new debugger is working?

edited 2022-08-13 01:31

It always has done in the past. Proptool, on the other hand, can't seem to find a comport so can only compile the binary.

Here's the sprites demo running:

• DiverBobDiverBob Posts: 1,097
    edited 2022-08-13 01:36

@cgracey said:
    I am releasing this today, in about an hour. It will be in PNut.exe which runs in Windows. Soon, we will have it in the Propeller Tool.

What is different about DEBUG? I looked at the Google doc from above and didn’t notice anything new. Does it have the single step capability now and the interface you demonstrated a while back?

Never mind, I saw the information in the other thread!

Chip,
    I have no idea about the your very latest. I haven't seen it yet.

Sorry, my initial comment was directed at Deets. Letting know he can use Pnut on Wine if he's keen to give the debugger a spin without the burden of Windoze.

edited 2022-08-13 02:05

Okay, found the new v35t download ... Yep, the fancy debug GUI seems intact on Wine. Screenshot with demo code:

@evanh said:
    Okay, found the new v35t download ... Yep, the fancy debug GUI seems intact on Wine. Screenshot with demo code:

Thanks, Evan.

Select "MAIN" to single-step.