Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
FT232 shortage — Parallax Forums

FT232 shortage

I was going to order more FT232’’s for my onboard prop plug and I can’t find any.

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2022-05-20 11:21

• Looks like I'll have to update my board artwork to accommdate the FT231X.

• YanomaniYanomani Posts: 1,524
    edited 2022-05-21 01:24

Hi @DigitalBob

IDK where you live, so, perhaps this information will not help you at this moment...

It seems rs-online has plenty of them available for sale, in the UK...

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/?searchTerm=FT232

Hope it helps

Henrique

• Yanomani, thanks for the info, I'm in the US, I did find some 232's on Amazon, for about $5. You get the whole board. I guess I could unsolder them or adapt the whole board. I do have pins for a prop plug on my board as a backup.

• You're always welcome!

Good to know you'd found an off-the-shelf solution, and any urge for a redesign was avoided (can be put on hold for a while, or indefinitely). :smile:

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069

I have about 10 new FT232RL that came from Mouser/digikey/element14 before the counterfeit FT232RL fiasco.
    But I'm in Oz and shipping is $$$

• Thanks Cluso, not sure where oz is, but the shipping might be cost prohibitive .

• @DigitalBob said:
    Thanks Cluso, not sure where oz is, but the shipping might be cost prohibitive .

Hello!
    Oh dear. Think of the Koala, and the Kangaroo, and you've got a guy there. Especially since the koalas just got a new supply of T-shirts to protest regarding the airline for the country.

Mascot available but asleep.

• I was able to remove the FT232's from the Amazon boards that I bought and use them on my boards. Works perfect.

1200 x 1600 - 508K
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,144

@DigitalBob said:
    Looks like I'll have to update my board artwork to accommdate the FT231X.

On this topic I see this from WCH

May 29 @WCH_TECH released the CH9101R and CH9101Y now. They are compatible to the FT230XS (SSOP16) and FT230XQ (QFN16).

Their CH9102 is a CP2102 28 pin adaption.

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,860

Anybody tried to order directly from FTDI? Looks like you can, but hard to tell if actually in stock...

Checked my stock, seems I have ~15 left...

Mouser seems to have a ton on order though...