Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Russian Drone Teardown — Parallax Forums

Russian Drone Teardown

Ukrainians captured a Russian drone intact, there is little or no Russian tech inside. Japanese gas engine and a Japanese (Canon) DSLR camera. A few circuit boards shown, fortunately no Parallax parts! Interesting to see IMO. @xanadu and other R/C fliers might enjoy.

Comments

• xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2022-04-23 07:08

Interesting. Looks like a wannabe AAI RQ-2 Pioneer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAI_RQ-2_Pioneer

• That is interesting to see. Someone in the comments of the video linked to the Orlan-10 Wikipedia page. The drone in the video seems pretty close to the Orlan-10.
    It was interesting to see an airbag as part of the recovery system.

I used to fly nitro-alcohol airplanes with film cameras to take aerial photographs. My planes were small enough I could hand launch them but landings were always a bit of a problem. My planes were too small for an airbag but I still like the idea.

I'm presently working on a quadplane. It should take off and land like a quadcopter but fly around like an airplane at altitude. I'm hoping this makes takeoffs and landings easy.

It was also interesting to see the fake SD card with a cable. I wonder what they do with the data. My guess is it's just so they can locate the SD card in an easier to access location. I'm not sure, but I'd think there would be too much data to transmit. It looks like they use a lower resolution camera for transmitted video.

Thanks for the sharing the video @erco .

• @"Duane Degn" said:
    ... I'm not sure, but I'd think there would be too much data to transmit. It looks like they use a lower resolution camera for transmitted video.

As shown at the video, the teardown process conducted by the Ukrainian team seems to have "uncovered/unveilled" each and every image-broadcasting/registering device, as fitted within the "OEM" parts, and sure, there is another one (infrared camera).

IMHO, that's the one used for navigation purposes (much less data needs to be transmitted, in order to notice any "hot-spots"), and the Canon becames, in fact, the "secondary" image grabber, whose data would need to be recovered, for latter "human-conducted" analisys.

Only my two cents...

• I loved the wry humor in that video. I wonder how many of our drones are made with off-the-shelf parts. :)

-Phil

• K2K2 Posts: 691

I would have located the international optics forward of the international flying machine engine to avoid international castor oil.