Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Windows 11 — Parallax Forums

Windows 11

Will Stamp editor run in Windows s-mode?

Comments

• Stamp Editor was from a time decades ago when they were called executables and not apps.

For full functionality you need at least windows home edition, with administrator permission to install and run executable files that access the hardware.

• @jimvtch said:
    Will Stamp editor run in Windows s-mode?

If the Stamp Editor is not in the Microsoft "store", then probably not. You'll have to exit S-Mode (Secure Mode)...which is a one-time-forever-no-return type of move...then install under Admin, and run.

I attempted to install the Adobe PDF reader from the Adobe website and was prevented by S-Mode.

• ercoerco Posts: 20,244

From Microsoft:

Windows 10 in S mode is a version of Windows 10 that's streamlined for security and performance, while providing a familiar Windows experience. To increase security, it allows only apps from the Microsoft Store, and requires Microsoft Edge for safe browsing.

I didn't see any Parallax editors in the Microsoft store so I think that's a no.

• WhitWhit Posts: 4,191

From https://www.parallax.com/education/programming-languages/pbasic/
    I believe you can run online with the Parallax IDE in Chrome.

Why Choose PBASIC?
    PBASIC is a variant of familiar BASIC, with special commands for monitoring and controlling circuits
    Program execution is a single process from top to bottom, making it easy to follow and understand
    The syntax is very clean and simple — no curly braces or semicolons required
    The language is not case-sensitive, a great advantage for new programmers
    The BASIC Stamp Editor applies syntax highlighting — capitalization and color — to help identify elements and key words

The BASIC Stamp 2 runs our PBASIC interpreter, a set of instructions that translate user-typed code into machine code. PBASIC commands are considered “close to the hardware” and there’s very little abstraction between a command and a PBASIC function.

The BASIC Stamp 2 is used on the Board of Education for student projects and our tutorials.

The programming environment is either the Windows BASIC Stamp Editor_ or Parallax IDE, which runs on Chrome in any operating system._

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2022-01-15 14:28

@Whit
    Forgot about the APP. Hope that works under WIN11. Hasn't been updated since 2015.

On second thought, it will not work since the -s version only runs Edge Browser..

• WhitWhit Posts: 4,191

Ugh!

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,272
    edited 2022-01-15 16:36

Edit: Removed an overly ambitious post. Seems whilst Chrome Extensions are now supported in Edge, the Chrome Apps (such as Parallax IDE) are not at this time, although I hope they will be eventually!

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,272
    edited 2022-01-15 16:56

Ah, Google is phasing out Apps. I'd expect Parallax will already have this on the radar as the update would be required in a lot of schools for the start of next school year.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/good-news-google-is-finally-killing-off-chrome-apps-end-support/m-p/1112057

At a quick glance it looks like converting Apps to the supported Google Extension format is not too tricky- just a little time, patience and coffee required! I'd think it's highly likely to be available later this year, although in the meantime it looks like Win11 with the safe mode off (as suggested above) is going to be one of the temporary ways forward.