Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Real Time Clock Module — Parallax Forums

Real Time Clock Module

I would like to use this module for timing a clock etc. Can some one advise me how to use this with my BS2 Stamp? Many thanks Terry.

Comments

• There are many RTC modules available. Which model do you have?

• Hi Publison,
    Its a DS 1302 RTC Board

• Here is on from Parallax. There may be more in the forums. Use the search box in the upper left of the page.

https://www.parallax.com/package/ds1302-basic-stamp-demo-code/

• Alas, I'm not having much joy. Selecting "Download" on the Parallax ds 1302-basic-stamp-demo-code/ page, comes up with error etc.

" Search" came up with this enquiry! In the search I entered "ds 1302 RCT Board" Possibly I haven't entered enough information.

Any way many thanks for your help.

Terry

• The link in post #4 responds with:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
    <Error>
    <Code>AccessDenied</Code>
    <Message>Access Denied</Message>
    <RequestId>X2X87TER7DJC081J</RequestId>
    <HostId>
    FNGr7ys6xrcwi8tb4nchduFh6hq/nd7LQmCH7VZFvVXxrgXy2LeTCvKIEO3KhstpzV2LAKN3BiI=
    </HostId>
    </Error>

• I was also unable to download the demo program.

• @TerryR said:
    Alas, I'm not having much joy. Selecting "Download" on the Parallax ds 1302-basic-stamp-demo-code/ page, comes up with error etc.

" Search" came up with this enquiry! In the search I entered "ds 1302 RCT Board" Possibly I haven't entered enough information.

Any way many thanks for your help.

Terry

OK. Try the download from this page:

https://www1.parallax.com/search?search_api_views_fulltext=DS1302

• Thanks Guys

All the information one requires is in that link. Unfortunately I didn't realise the language for the DS1302 RTC would be written in arduino language?

I should have guessed as the module has a blue colour. I thought buying it from parallax it would be ok to use with my Basic Stamp OEM.

Never mind, not a lot lost. I bought it out of curiosity possibly for some future projects requiring precision timing.

Many thanks to you all. A Merry Xmas . Terry

• All the information one requires is in that link. Unfortunately I didn't realise the language for the DS1302 RTC would be written in arduino language?

How did you come to that conclusion? There are several links to BS2 code examples on the link's page. Did you try to download:

https://www1.parallax.com/sites/default/files/downloads/29125-DS1302-Demo-v1.0.zip
    https://www1.parallax.com/sites/default/files/downloads/604-00005-DS1302-BASIC-Stamp-Code.zip

Here's just a few lines of DS1302_Demo.bs2 (doesn't seem like Arduino code):

' =========================================================================
    '
    '   File...... DS1302_Demo.bs2
    '   Project... Demo Code for the DS1302 RTC
    '   Author.... Chris Savage / Savage Circuits
    '   E-mail.... chris@savagecircuits.com
    '   Started...
    '   Updated... 10-09-2005
    '   License... See End of Code
    '
    '   {$STAMP BS2}
    '   {$PBASIC 2.5}
    '
    ' =========================================================================

' -----[ Program Description ]---------------------------------------------

' This code demonstrates the use of the DS1302 RTC/RAM Chip with the BASIC
    ' Stamp 2 Microcontroller, making easy use of the 12 Hour & 24 Hour time
    ' modes, as well as accessing the RAM.  The sample code will use the DEBUG
    ' window for input and output for simplicity.  You can change the output
    ' to the device of your choice.  For example, using a Parallax Serial LCD
    ' requires very few changes to the code to use it for output.
    ' A modified version of this code was adapted to display the date and time
    ' on a Parallax Serial LCD Display (#27976), also with backlight (#27977)
    ' and on Parallax Professional Development Board (#28138, coming soon!)
    ' using a MAX7219 8-Digit Display Driver.
    ' This code will work on all BS2 Stamp Modules.

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2021-12-18 15:58

@TerryR said:
    Thanks Guys

All the information one requires is in that link. Unfortunately I didn't realise the language for the DS1302 RTC would be written in arduino language?

I should have guessed as the module has a blue colour. I thought buying it from parallax it would be ok to use with my Basic Stamp OEM.

Never mind, not a lot lost. I bought it out of curiosity possibly for some future projects requiring precision timing.

Many thanks to you all. A Merry Xmas . Terry

The links on the page I posted specifically says "DS1302 BASIC Stamp Sample Code"

Did you download the Javalin programs by mistake? That may have an Arduino look.

Just about all Parallax boards are blue silk screen. Have been for years.

• Cheers Publison

Yes, your right, I did make a mistake and selected the Javalin program. Probably something to do with old age Ha ha!

I'll have a go at selecting the correct program.
    Terry

• Hi Publison

I have opend the Basic Stamp link. This showed a few dated zip links. Openning them, individually, puts the Basic Stamp program strait into my program Editor. I couldn't have asked for anything better. Brillient!

I also mistakenly thought all Arduino boards were blue and Basic Stamp boards were green. Thanks for correcting me.
    Terry

• Glad to be of help.

• Hi Publison,dgately,tomcrawford

Many Thanks for all your help. Merry Xmas

Terry