Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can a Hall effect sensor just die? [NEVER MIND] — Parallax Forums

Can a Hall effect sensor just die? [NEVER MIND]

mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
edited 2021-10-30 02:21 in General Discussion

I had a Hall effect sensor happily sensing a little magnet, but now the output pin stays high when the magnet passes. I don't suppose that's a thing, that Hall effect sensors just lose their mojo? Probably I shorted something somewhere. But if anyone else has had one just up and quit, let me know; it'd make me feel better.

Comments

• mparkmpark Posts: 1,305

Never mind. It's come back to life. I do not know what happened, but I'll take it.

• YanomaniYanomani Posts: 1,524
    edited 2021-10-30 02:32

Don't feell alone; there are others (not me, ATM) like you...

Not sure about your particular sensor brand and model, but:

https://gideonlabs.com/posts/honeywell-ss466a-hall-effect-sensor-failure/

Hope it helps

Henrique

Dr. Phibes Rises Again beat me... :lol:

• mparkmpark Posts: 1,305

Thank you, @Yanomani. I'm starting to suspect that letting our cat walk on my circuits is maybe not the best idea.

• You're welcome,@mpark!

Fifteen years ago, and it was my turn; some sand-stuffed cat-footprints messed with my then-notebook hinges (my first HP Pavillion, at the time).

Results: full diagonal screen-crack, while attempting to close; I simply didn't noticed the sand (that also managed to splatter in-between the topmost keyboard keys) untill a "sound" was heard... :disappointed:

S... happens...

• hall effect sensors work by generating their own magnetic field and detecting the difference when a iron or steel flag disturbs the magnetic field.
    using it to detect a magnet is not recommended because passing a magnet over the core of a hall effect sensor saturates the core with magnetic flux and will disable its ability to detect ferrous materials!
    if you are using a magnet however a simple reed switch works fine.

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2021-12-07 02:25

hall effect sensors work by generating their own magnetic field and detecting the difference when a iron or steel flag disturbs the magnetic field.

Not really true. You might be thinking of inductive sensors. From Wikipedia:

"In a Hall sensor, a current is applied to a thin strip of metal. In the presence of a magnetic field perpendicular to the direction of the current, the charge carriers are deflected by the Lorentz force, producing a difference in electric potential (voltage) between the two sides of the strip. This voltage difference (the Hall voltage) is proportional to the strength of the magnetic field.

Hall effect sensors respond to static (non-changing) magnetic fields. This is a key difference from inductive sensors, which respond only to changes in fields."

-Phil