Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Program a Microcontroller — Parallax Forums

Program a Microcontroller

Question:

• Is it possible to program a 8-bit microcontroller with a quick start board?

Goal:

• Use AVRdude to interface between the QuickStart board and computer to load code onto a 8-bit microcontroller (ATTINY85V-10PU)

Extra info:

Comments

• JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,918
    edited 2021-09-28 14:34

There are many ways to get a program into an ATTiny -- I've never seen one that involve that Propeller. I'm betting you have a standard Arduino in you stock -- you can use that to provide a programming interface.

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2021-09-28 08:19

I programmed an AVR ATTiny85? with a P1 years ago. Perhaps a thread search might find it.
    IIRC it wasn’t difficult.
    Sorry I don’t have a link.

BTW you will need something else if you need to restore the fuses.

• I haven’t done anything like this before. It’s all brand new to me.

Cluso99 I believe I found your post https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/134719/programming-the-attiny84-with-the-propeller-working

Yes, that’s the thread.
    BTW The newest ATTiny chips have a single programming pin using a microchip protocol - this is different.

• I’m am going to take a deep dive into this. I’ve never done something like this before. When I come out of it I’ll post my results here.

• nickhempnickhemp Posts: 5
    edited 2021-09-29 18:22

I found this image. Where a Arduino board is used to program the ATtiny. (1) {not sure why they used a capacitor in this diagram. I’m fairly sure it’s not necessary}

Document showing the Propeller QuickStart accessory sockets. (2)

Following the same layout from the first picture I came up with this. (3)

Do you think this would work?

Propeller Document
    https://www.alliedelec.com/m/d/716e826b58934381a82e39c92d2279c2.pdf

No!
    P40 is 6-9V unregulated - you will kill your AVR as it requires 5V max.
    I think you can program it using 3V3 but you need to check the AVR manual.

Any P1 I/O pins should work but best if you steer clear of P28-31 as they are used for serial and I2C EEPROM booting. I am not sure if the QuickStart uses other pins for anything.

• Very helpful info. Sees a like getting a Arduino is the easiest way to go.

• JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,918
    edited 2021-10-06 17:46

I don't do a lot with ATTinys, but when I've needed them for a very small project I used programmer from Sparkfun. If the device was on a board (SMD), I used a cable and a chip-click to make the connection.