Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Where does official SPIN2 store the CLKFREQ these days? — Parallax Forums

Where does official SPIN2 store the CLKFREQ these days?

roglohrogloh Posts: 5,122
edited 2021-10-02 08:45 in Propeller 2

I have a PASM2 video driver that gets a delay value passed in units of microseconds and needs to be converted into clock ticks for a waitx instruction. For this I need to read the current P2 clock frequency and do some calculations.

Do Flexspin and official Parallax SPIN2 now both store the clock frequency in HUBRAM at address $14 or is there some difference here?

If there is a difference what is a good way to detect and handle this in PASM2 so the code can run on both platforms?

Update: just found it, looks like it is still at a different location. So the question becomes what's the best way to differentiate the two platforms so the same code can be used..?

"The current clock frequency, located at LONG[$44]. Initialized with the 'clkfreq_' value."

Comments

• I know flexspin lets you do @clkfreq to find out the address, not sure if that works on Chips compiler.

• roglohrogloh Posts: 5,122
    edited 2021-10-02 08:46

Aha, yeah the documentation for Chip's SPIN2 also mentions that @clkfreq value too. Should be fine if both platforms support it. I'll give it a try. Cheers!

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    edited 2021-10-02 11:25

If you intend adjusting that value, and setting PLL clock mode, at run-time, I've come to realise that also knowing the frequency of the installed crystal or external oscillator is most flexible way to support all boards. Something that Peter grappled with early on with his 12 MHz crystal.

At this stage, the only solution I have for achieving this is to extract the info from the compile-time clkmode_ symbol. Details here - https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1528982/#Comment_1528982

• @evanh said:
    I've come to realise that also knowing the frequency of the installed crystal or external oscillator is most flexible way to support all boards. Something that Peter grappled with early on with his 12 MHz crystal.

Yes I've tried to get at this information in the past when computing the PLL stuff but ran into problems doing so in a tool agnostic way (supporting both flexspin + PropTool). Maybe these days it is doable....

On that note, my use of Flexspin bitwise indexing of a constant isn't legal in Pnut either. Chip said he'll have a look at maybe adding it as a new feature a few posts down from my link there.

edited 2021-10-03 00:17

Here's the generic solution for now: (Tested and working with both Pnut and Flexspin)

mode := clkmode_

if clkmode_ >> 24 & 1                   ' compiled with PLL on
            divd := clkmode_ >> 18 & $3f + 1
            mult := clkmode_ >> 8 & $3ff + 1
            divp := (clkmode_ >> 4 + 1) & $f
            divp := divp ? divp * 2 : 1
            xinfreq := mul2div65( divp, divd, clkfreq_, mult )

elseif clkmode_ >> 2 & 3                ' compiled with PLL off
            xinfreq := clkfreq_             ' clock pass-through
        else                            ' unknown build mode
            xinfreq := 20_000_000               ' default to 20 MHz crystal
            mode := %10_00                  ' default to 15 pF loading

mode := %11_11 & mode | %11             ' keep %CC, force %SS, ditch the rest

EDIT: Added the missing first line.
    EDIT2: Bug fix - divp wasn't bounded correctly.

edited 2022-01-19 07:57

And here's a spin test program that doesn't need DEBUG() to print. Pnut's DEBUG() has a flaw notable limitation, in that it simply can't handle the sysclock frequency being run-time adjusted.

EDIT: Updated with above bug fix.
    EDIT2: Added print of the critical XIN frequency
    Update 26-10-2021: Arrg! Must have been tired, it wasn't accessible to print. Right, changed the setting method to return xinfreq instead of the redundant clkmode. It actually will print the XIN frequency now.
    Update 19-1-2022: Found a lingering regression in div33(). At some stage early on I'd changed from using C flag to Z flag without testing. That was a mistake because Z wasn't being set in the same manner as C previously was. Reverted back to using C flag now.

edited 2021-10-03 01:24

@evanh said:
    And here's a spin test program that doesn't need DEBUG() to print. Pnut's DEBUG() has a flaw notable limitation, in that it simply can't handle the sysclock frequency being run-time adjusted.

It's not limited to PNut. In flexspin also I found I couldn't change the P2 clock frequency at run time for my video driver without the serial output being corrupted. Solution was to debug at the startup frequency with no video output which was okay for the bug I had, but in some cases when real-time operation is required during debug this wouldn't be okay and you'd want to run at its regular frequency. I can see it would be nice to have the debug adapt to the current P2 clock frequency on the fly, but it would have to add a frequency check for each debug output operation which might slow it down a little. Basically it needs a RDLONG and comparison to last known frequency and jump to a handling routine to update it and reset the serial baud timing if they are different.

edited 2021-10-03 01:36

Have a look at my source code. In Flex, I'd had that part sorted for years. Even Flex's debug() is sorted with a single wxpin(). Pnut's debug() is a different story - it's locked inside the protected hubRAM - https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1528269/#Comment_1528269

edited 2021-10-03 02:29

@evanh Are you implying flexspin's DEBUG can now handle clock frequency changes, or do you need some other stuff patched? If it's meant to work now that's not what I see with this version I grabbed from the top of tree recently. As soon as the PLL changes it still messes up the output.

Version 5.9.3-beta-v5.9.2-33-g35412c83 Compiled on: Sep 26 2021

loadp2 -p /dev/cu.usbmodem1411 -l 1000000 -t usb.binary 
    ( Entering terminal mode.  Press Ctrl-] or Ctrl-Z to exit. )
    Cog0  INIT $0000_0000 $0000_0000 load
    Cog0  INIT $0000_0404 $0000_0000 load
    LCD demo
    ?!aC???e????kr(????#?R2v,%?a%-1?'?V?b. (鄆B?#??????(6)?0!?d??C!)>(?8#`??B!?ĄB?#`?#RrF,?)?CB?#?r3???n$?!!V?
                                                                                                              Ą%;@?'`j????((?(??)(>)??()>h??((?h??)(>i??()>h??((*,%(肊??*a!%B?#`??Ą?=h?????C??($?5膊??%5?????H*$?e????%5(??((&)??)(>(??

EDIT: Ok, so I looked at your code in post #8 and see how you have done this in flexspin evanh. It's your own pieces added on top, it's not part of flexspin. Though it would be nice if it was at some point.

edited 2021-10-03 02:48

Actually, sorry, that source is not how I use Flex's debug() at all. I've removed all use of debug() there because it can't be used in Pnut/Proptool. Not until Chip makes a feature change at least.

The Flex debug() baud adjustment is a simple wxpin() to the hardware. In C you can use _setbaud() instead.

edited 2021-10-03 03:11

Duh!, _setbaud() is present in FlexSpin too, not just FlexC. Here it is quickly ported back to debug() for FlexSpin only. Note: The source above works with Pnut too, therefore don't use this code here.

• _setbaud works? Because it really shouldn't, the debugger resets the serial pin to the correct mode on entry. _setbaud does work with the regular -g software-only debug, but that doesn't work in PASM.

• @rogloh said:

@evanh said:

It's not limited to PNut. In flexspin also I found I couldn't change the P2 clock frequency at run time for my video driver without the serial output being corrupted. Solution was to debug at the startup frequency with no video output which was okay for the bug I had, but in some cases when real-time operation is required during debug this wouldn't be okay and you'd want to run at its regular frequency.

The more correct solution to the issue is to set your initial clock to match the clock you're going to switch to.

edited 2021-10-03 15:34

@Wuerfel_21 said:
    _setbaud works? Because it really shouldn't, the debugger resets the serial pin to the correct mode on entry. _setbaud does work with the regular -g software-only debug, but that doesn't work in PASM.

The Flex compiled debug() is just a wrapper around printf(), even for Spin code. There's no locked debugger. It will use whatever baud you set with the _setbaud() function, as many times as you like. Try my second example - pllmode-debug.spin2. It adjusts the timing hundreds of times each run. No trickery, just using Eric's built-in function to do what it's intended for.

edited 2021-10-03 15:45

@Wuerfel_21 said:
    The more correct solution to the issue is to set your initial clock to match the clock you're going to switch to.

Then there's no user switching at all, clkset() becomes entirely redundant.

Chip just needs to improve Pnut's debug() to handle resetting the baud after or during a clkset().

• @evanh said:.
    The Flex compiled debug() is just a wrapper around printf(), even for Spin code. There's no locked debugger.

That's not true anymore, real BRK-based debugging is a thing now an -gbrk enables it.

What is BRK?

And when did Flex get it? It's true I've been using -g for debug features. It's the only option I knew about.

At any rate, that just mean -gbrk also needs improved is all.

Just like clkset(), if debug() doesn't support _setbaud() it's kind of pointless having _setbaud() at all.

• @evanh said:
    What is BRK?

BRK is the instruction that is used for setting the DEBUG break condition I think. See SETBRK/BRK/GETBRK etc.

Oh, heh, wasn't expecting a machine instruction, never looked at that section of the docs.

Huh, GETBRK works at user level code too. Pulls out a bunch of hidden status flags.