Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Price Reduction on P2 Edge — Parallax Forums

Price Reduction on P2 Edge

PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
edited 2021-09-16 06:48 in Propeller 2

Grab these before they are gone at this price. This is for Rev B card.

https://www.parallax.com/product/p2-edge-module/

The Rev C (with SD Card) may be double this price when it comes out

Comments

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,273
    edited 2021-09-16 06:49

Good point Jim.

The upcoming RevC will be double the price of the RevB sale deal.

For anyone that doesn't need the onboard microSD, that RevB deal seems like a super low cost way to get a P2 board right now.

There's a low cost P2 microSD adapter board that could be used with RevB too!

https://www.parallax.com/product/p2-microsd-add-on-board/

All Edge revs (A, B, C) remain compatible with the existing breakout boards and accessories, such as the mini-breakout #64019 or JonnyMac #64020.

• ????? Hmmm The "original price" seems to have risen from 49$ to 69$ ????

• Unfortunately yes- current worldwide shortages and shipping cost hikes (etc..) are pushing up the prices of everything.

• @"Christof Eb." said:
    ????? Hmmm The "original price" seems to have risen from 49$ to 69$ ????

Yes, but the sale price has not changed. A good price still.

• Shipping is the killer. Here in Australia, buying the non-discounted unit from Mouser is cheaper (and probably faster to receive) by a significant margin

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2021-09-17 23:23

Shipping has been a killer. A 2OZ package to Canada from US for 2 KISS0001 boards cost me $14.25US !!

• pik33pik33 Posts: 2,347

While the new features of Rev C are good, the price raising is not. Rev A/B was sufficient for my project.

I think the better way to do is introduce a Rev C as a new product at $70 price but left the Rev B as it is, so if someone doesn't want SD slot, better oscillator and power supply can still use a cheaper version. $70 is 2x Raspberry Pi... :( or 14x Pico.

• From what I understand, the price increase is more due to the global semiconductor shortage than to feature increases.

• @Circuitsoft said:
    From what I understand, the price increase is more due to the global semiconductor shortage than to feature increases.

Correct. (Unfortunately).

Everything is getting more expensive. Hopefully prices will reduce again (as quickly as they rose in the supply chain) as things settle.

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066

@VonSzarvas said:

@Circuitsoft said:
    From what I understand, the price increase is more due to the global semiconductor shortage than to feature increases.

Correct. (Unfortunately).

Everything is getting more expensive. Hopefully prices will reduce again (as quickly as they rose in the supply chain) as things settle.

From past experiences, it will take some time so don't expect price drops any time soon. And this one has more push (ie demand) behind it so I expect it to take longer.

• I already have the Rev A board. Is there any compelling reason to upgrade to the Rev B?

@"David Betz" said:
    I already have the Rev A board. Is there any compelling reason to upgrade to the Rev B?

Rev B silicon has numerous fixes and additions. There is a list of them. IMHO if you’re seriously wanting to work with P2 then you need a Rev B chip as otherwise you may end up chasing which is due to silicon.

Having said this, you need to determine if your Rev A pcb has Rev A or B silicon. Again, there is a table of Rev markings. IIRC you can just detect this from the identify sequence.

• @Cluso99 said:

@"David Betz" said:
    I already have the Rev A board. Is there any compelling reason to upgrade to the Rev B?

Rev B silicon has numerous fixes and additions. There is a list of them. IMHO if you’re seriously wanting to work with P2 then you need a Rev B chip as otherwise you may end up chasing which is due to silicon.

Having said this, you need to determine if your Rev A pcb has Rev A or B silicon. Again, there is a table of Rev markings. IIRC you can just detect this from the identify sequence.

Wait, I thought we were talking about revisions of the edge board not revisions of the chip. Weren't all edge boards made with Rev B chips?

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,126

All Edge Boards will be Rev C chips.

@"David Betz" said:

@Cluso99 said:

@"David Betz" said:

Wait, I thought we were talking about revisions of the edge board not revisions of the chip. Weren't all edge boards made with Rev B chips?

Yes, I think only P2EVALs & original P2D2's had Rev A chips. There were only ~150 chips in total.

• @evanh said:

Correct.
    All rev versions of the Edge module have P2 Rev C silicon onboard.

• @VonSzarvas said:

@evanh said:

Correct.
    All rev versions of the Edge module have P2 Rev C silicon onboard.

Thanks. So that brings me back to my original question. Is there a compelling reason to upgrade from a Edge Rev A board to Rev B given that both have Rev C silicon?

• I don't think so. The changes from RevA to RevB were fairly minor, and the copper change would only be relevant if you are running (overclocking) at extreme speeds/loads :

● Silk screen markings added/improved.
    ● Narrow/adjust the edge pads to allow for thicker copper plating.
    ● Increase copper plating from 1.5oz to 2oz.
    ● On-board LEDs P56/P57; color changed to white (previous versions were green).

• @VonSzarvas said:
    I don't think so. The changes from RevA to RevB were fairly minor, and the copper change would only be relevant if you are running (overclocking) at extreme speeds/loads :

● Silk screen markings added/improved.
    ● Narrow/adjust the edge pads to allow for thicker copper plating.
    ● Increase copper plating from 1.5oz to 2oz.
    ● On-board LEDs P56/P57; color changed to white (previous versions were green).

Thanks for the explanation. I guess I'll stick with my Rev A module and consider updating when the Rev C one becomes available.