Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Looking for P8X32A-q44 — Parallax Forums

Looking for P8X32A-q44

If you've got extra inventory of Propeller v1 in the QFP package and would like to sell, please reply below or message me directly. Willing to purchase whole trays. Thanks! -John

Comments

• Hi
    Have you tried
    https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/microcontrollers/1711688

That's LQFP ? is that the same?

Dave

• @tritonium said:
    Hi
    Have you tried
    https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/microcontrollers/1711688

That's LQFP ? is that the same?

Dave

They are backorder also.

• Saw those earlier, Dave. But thanks for checking.

Turns out, we can respin a couple boards and also use the QFN packages if anyone has extra in that style as well.

• I don't have any I can part with, I wonder what the update is on the supply chain for the Q44

• Some place called PCB electronics claims they have 69,000 ready to ship.

• Has there been any update from Parallax as to when the Q44 versions of the P1 will become generally available again? I always shied away from surface mount parts but I recently did a project with my son where I tried using them and am now hooked. Will the Q44 P1 be available soon? I can't say I have an emergency need for them. I have one already but I'd kind of like a few more. I certainly don't want to take them away from people who have real needs though.

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,860
    edited 2021-09-08 20:01

Wow, it does look like the QFP version of P1 has dried up... I remember this happening before and was cleared up in a relatively short time...

• Yeah, I’m assuming it’s temporary.

• Well, there is an international chip shortage that's causing all kinds of supply problems, including in the auto industry. This may be an issue that transcends the prior Prop chip shortage.

-Phil

• JohnC,

Have you tried calling Parallax?

They might just be stuck on a ship because here in Southern California there are reports of ships just sitting off the coast due to labor shortages.

• I took a look into the latest situation...

There is a significant volume of the QFP part P8X32A-Q44 expected into stock mid-November.

• @VonSzarvas said:
    I took a look into the latest situation...
    There is a significant volume of the QFP part P8X32A-Q44 expected into stock mid-November.

This is good news indeed! Thanks V!

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069

I have a number of QFP44, maybe ~40 in the plastic carrier. I am on OZ. If that will help PM me.
    May have 50-150 ?? in the US too.

• @VonSzarvas said:
    I took a look into the latest situation...

Cool! I'll probably pickup a handful when they come into stock.

• @Genetix I phoned Parallax a month ago and they had no lead times. Maybe that's changed since then.

@Cluso99 said:
    I have a number of QFP44, maybe ~40 in the plastic carrier. I am on OZ. If that will help PM me.
    May have 50-150 ?? in the US too.

Sent a PM, thanks.

• JohnCJohnC Posts: 64
    edited 2021-10-14 15:25

FYI in just the last few days, Mouser changed their pricing for the shipment which is expected to arrive in December.

For the QFP part, the old price of $5.38/100 is now $10.91, or just under $13 in singles.

Strangely the DIP pricing remains the same at $5.38.

• What happened to $7.99

• Even parallax jacked them up to $11, price increases for parts nobody has.

• @DigitalBob said:
    Even parallax jacked them up to $11, price increases for parts nobody has.

The wafer manufacturers are enjoying a bidding war for the limited capacity to manufacture wafers. Lead times have tripled over the past 6 months. This is a full-on demonstration of macro economics in real time.

• Ugh. So when they finally become available again they’re going to be significantly more expensive?

• I can't imagine they'll sell at that price point when the dust settles. This is a fine but an old chip and a niche one. Unless the wole IC market stabilizes at that outrageous price levels nothing will justify that price increase. I think the end of the P8X32 is happening now. And I would really really, like to be totally mistaken on this one.

• The whole semiconductor industry is in flux. Maybe pay more to get first in line?

• I hope the P1 will be around for awhile, seems like the Q44 is the most popular, the QFN doesn't exist anymore, the dip 40 is still cheap at mouser only and many on the shelf. So whats the EOL for the P1

• To me, the current situation looks like everybody who only can, wants to make a fortune taking advantage of the whole pandemic thing as an excuse for ones own greed. Look around, talk to real people and switch off that TV Smile. Make your own assessment based on facts you see. But this is a general digression so no more of this here from me.

• @Maciek said:
    I can't imagine they'll sell at that price point when the dust settles. This is a fine but an old chip and a niche one. Unless the wole IC market stabilizes at that outrageous price levels nothing will justify that price increase. I think the end of the P8X32 is happening now. And I would really really, like to be totally mistaken on this one.

I certainly hope and I don't believe that the end of the P1 is near. It's far easier to use than the P2 for hobbyists. Not only is it available in DIP form but the QFP package isn't that hard to hand solder either.

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,278
    edited 2021-10-18 13:55

@"David Betz" said:

@Maciek said:
    I can't imagine they'll sell at that price point when the dust settles. This is a fine but an old chip and a niche one. Unless the wole IC market stabilizes at that outrageous price levels nothing will justify that price increase. I think the end of the P8X32 is happening now. And I would really really, like to be totally mistaken on this one.

I certainly hope and I don't believe that the end of the P1 is near. It's far easier to use than the P2 for hobbyists. Not only is it available in DIP form but the QFP package isn't that hard to hand solder either.

Absolutely, categorically, emphatically- P1 will be available for very many years to come- far beyond our working lives.

This has been repeated many times, and is stated officially on the Parallax site somewhere, as well as here on the forums.

The current price increases are completely unrelated to life-span. Suppliers have increased the price of the parts (including wafers and packaging) more than the percentage by which Parallax has reluctantly increased prices to customers.

Price increases are just a sad fact of the world at the moment, impacting everything from tea-bags to turtle-neck sweaters. We can all hope the trend will be as temporary as possible, and that it won't slow innovation too much.

Whatever else is going on, there's absolutely nothing to fear - Propeller P1 and P2 will spin together forever!

• @VonSzarvas said:

@"David Betz" said:

@Maciek said:

Absolutely, categorically, emphatically- P1 will be available for very many years to come- far beyond our working lives.

This has been repeated many times, and is stated officially on the Parallax site somewhere, as well as here on the forums.

The current price increases are completely unrelated to life-span. Suppliers have increased the price of the parts (including wafers and packaging) more than the percentage by which Parallax has reluctantly increased prices to customers.

Price increases are just a sad fact of the world at the moment, impacting everything from tea-bags to turtle-neck sweaters. We can all hope the trend will be as temporary as possible, and that it won't slow innovation too much.

Whatever else is going on, there's absolutely nothing to fear - Propeller P1 and P2 will spin together forever!

Thanks for confirming. I know this has been said in the past and I was pretty sure it was probably still true. Good news!!

• RS components lists 640 in UK stock for €4.71 (full tray) to 6.96 (single)
    https://de.rs-online.com/web/p/mikrocontroller/1711688/

• Thats about $11 US. I'll wait for the next batch to hit mousers shelves.

• The P1 Q44 is back in stock! I have 10 on their way to me now.