Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Star Wars Challenge — Parallax Forums

Star Wars Challenge

VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,273
edited 2021-06-12 14:52 in General Discussion

Noticed this 12 Arduino project on Hackaday.

https://hackaday.com/2021/06/11/12-arduino-orchestra-plays-star-wars-fanfare/

This could be done with just 1 Propeller, right? Either a P1 or P2.

Anyone got something to share involving at least 12 piezos and 12 blinking LEDs?

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2021-06-12 14:44

Got a link :)

• Thanks @Publison
    Somehow the link was light years away! Now arrived and added to first post.

• This could be done with just 1 Propeller, right? Either a P1 or P2.

You can do 8 channel polyphony plus a simple playrouine in just one P1 cog, see Retronitus DX. But that mixes all channels into a single stereo output and making it output each channel separately is a non-starter due to there only being two counters per cog. No issues at all on P2 since the DACs are built into the pins.

• There's also an actual MIDI player for P1 laying around somewhere that does 20 voice polyphony. The quality is a bit uhhhhhhhhhhhh.

• Being able to play 2 chords (4 or 5 note) per speaker (with 2 speakers connected to cogs 1-7), leaving cog 0 for main, might be pretty cool. Plus an RGB per speaker to denote sound level/pitch somehow, would be pretty cool. Sound files could be stored on SD card, managed by the main cog.

The only reason to split over multi-cogs is to demonstrate the co-ordination. Not sure if that would be an essential part of the demo, but I guess that was part of the hackday idea- to show how the Nano's co-ordinate with each over in perfect time! :)

I'll check out the Midi player. Thanks W21 !

• The attached file is just a recording of it I had laying around. The actual source for it is somewhere on the forums, but I made some slight improvements to it and that can be found mingled into the source for my PropPlay fork. In particular, I made the percussion a bit louder and made it load the PASM code and the sound bank from SD card to reduce RAM usage. The actual MIDI playback code is somewhere at the bottom of propplay-018-20140820.spin.